Caffeine Makes Women Immortal. Kinda.

Caffeine Makes Women Immortal. Kinda.

Caffeine may be particularly healthy for women diagnosed with diabetes.

45
Caffeine Makes Women Immortal. Kinda.

Herbal tea and coffee have a wide range of positive health benefits, but consuming caffeine may be particularly healthy for women diagnosed with diabetes. Recent medical research shows that for these people, one daily cup of coffee cuts death risk by more than 50 percent.

This study was led by two people, Dr. João Sérgio Neves and Prof. Davide Carvalho, both from the University of Porto in Portugal.

Dr. Neves and his research team observed collective data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey which was collected between 1999 and 2010. For their study, the researchers examined 1,568 women and 1,484 men diagnosed with diabetes.

During the study, subjects were asked the recall what types of caffeine they drank.

The authors used Cox proportional hazard models to adjust for factors that might confound the results, including body mass index (BMI), income and education, alcohol consumption, smoking, high blood pressure, and the number of years that have passed since the diabetes diagnosis.

Over the 11-year period, 618 people died. No significant association was found between caffeine consumption and the cause of mortality, cardiovascular mortality, or cancer-related mortality among men.

However, women who had up to 100 milligrams of caffeine - the equivalent of one cup of coffee - every day had a 51 percent lower risk of dying prematurely than women who did not have any caffeine.

The findings were dose related, women who had between 100 and 200 milligrams of caffeine daily were 57 percent less likely to die compared with their non-consuming counterparts. Furthermore, those who consumed more than 200 milligrams daily - the equivalent of two cups of coffee - had a 66 percent lower risk of death.

Coffee Lovers, you have another reason to have that second cup of coffee.