Juuling Could Be The New Caffeine For College Students

Juuling Could Be The New Caffeine For College Students

Is this the newest most addictive substances in college campuses?

131

Caffeine has been one of the most popular and addictive substances on college campuses for decades. I, myself began drinking coffee my sophomore year of high school and it became a daily thing after that. Of course, the stress I had back in high school doesn't compare to the stress and academics students take in college. Starbucks and a local coffee shop by my home was the first thing I would visit every morning. One becomes so dependent on it that you don't realize when it becomes an addiction. Who doesn't love the taste of it? Plus it is the first thing you taste in the morning and keeps you going for a whole day until you get to conquer the next.

One of my peers in high school who's still my peer down here at Arizona State University began her caffeine addiction since her freshman year of high school. Monica Lomeli, a sophomore at Arizona State University confesses that she now relies on energy drinks as well. She also reports that, "I get really bad headaches if I skip either my energy drink or my coffee in the morning." Erika Fonseca, a freshman at South Mountain Community College reports that, "I can't really start my day without drinking my dose of caffeine." She claims she barely became dependent on caffeine barely this year.

Juuls are what's popping in both high school and mainly college campuses. I have not met a peer or a classmate down here at Arizona State University that does not own a Juul device. Of course, it is "safer" than smoking actual cigarettes but the Juul still contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical, but so far there are no studies that Juuling causes cancer. You have to be 18 years old or older to purchase either a Juul device or Juul pods at any stores. These are mostly sold in gas stations and convenience stores just like actual cigarettes.

After interviewing a group of random girls at a party, they confessed to their Juuling addiction and how they hit it "every second [they] can." Taryn, Kassandra, Tabatha, and Mallory have reported that they cannot go a day or maybe an hour without taking a hit of their Juul device. "I recognize that I have an addiction now, but it is safer and healthier than smoking actual cigarettes," Mallory reported. At any non-academically event and even around campus students usually can be spotted Juuling. Kassandra told me, "The Juuling addiction is quite expensive, but it definitely worth it to get me going through the week." Taryn said, "I like the buzz, and it's kind of cool."

Both caffeine and Juuls are what's currently trending in this generation just like it was smoking cigarettes back in the 60-80s until studies were found that they caused cancer. There is no commercial ads on TV anymore to advertise the Juul, but there are social media that spreads and begins most of our generation's trends. We are about to enter the roaring 20s and Gatsby and Daisy will be spotted at the party Juuling.

As a college student myself, I was not so concerned about these substances around campus until I took my earphones out and began to observe my fellow surroundings. I am a millennial myself and so are the people around me and it seems like a normal thing to do. I mean everyone is doing it so how can it be harmful? But will the Juul and caffeine kill us in a decade?