How To Buy Discount And Cheap Broadway Musical Tickets
Theater

8 Ways To Sing And Dance Your Way To Discounted Broadway Show Tickets

The theatre, along with all forms of art, shouldn't be a luxury. It should be accessible and experienced by all.

203
Christine DiNapoli

The theatre is a very important part of my life that I could not live without. I am very fortunate to live only an hour away from some of the best theatre in the world. The theatre, along with all forms of art, shouldn't be a luxury. It should be accessible and experienced by all. Here are my tips and tricks for seeing top-tier theatre without breaking the bank.

1. Buy your tickets through discount websites

There are plenty of websites that offer online discount codes for Broadway shows. Typically, the codes are only for specific shows, dates, and performances. My favorite websites are TheaterMania and BroadwayBox. These websites are totally legit and perfect if you prefer to plan your trip to the theatre in advance.

2. Visit the box-office

This option is definitely the best for the last minute show or if you find yourself on Broadway often. A lot of shows offer "rush" tickets, where you can purchase up to two tickets for a performance on the same day for around $40, given that the show isn't sold out. Your best chances of getting these is to arrive at the box office upon opening. If you can't swing rush tickets, buying at the box office at least saves you from ticket fees. Each show's rush policy can be found here.

3. Enter lotteries!

This is an option that is all about luck, but maybe your best option for scoring the priciest tickets at the best price (I'm talking about you, "Hamilton" and "Dear Evan Hansen"!). Before you get too excited, you aren't winning the tickets per say, but rather the chance to buy discounted tickets. Just like rush tickets, most of them run at about $40. While some lotteries are in person, meaning you must be present at the box office during the drawing, most of them are online nowadays! Most of the digital lotteries even let you enter a week's worth of drawings. Each show's lottery policy can be found here also.

4. Choose your performance wisely

It is a FACT that Saturday matinees have the highest priced tickets. If possible, try for a weeknight when tickets might be slightly less expensive.

5. Check out TKTS in Times Square

All tickets sold here are discounted anywhere from 20%-50%. Typically, larger discounts are given to the more expensive seats. Tickets are sold the day of the performance and show availability changes on a daily basis. Thanks to their app, though, you can check their availability before you even arrive. More information can be found on their website.

6. Download the TodayTix app

This is just another resource for buying discounted tickets to nearly any show. They often run promotions for fee-less tickets. The best part is, someone from the company in official TodayTix attire will meet you outside the theatre prior to the performance to hand deliver your tickets.

7. Join HipTix

HipTix is a free membership that allows 18-35-year-olds $25 tickets to all Roundabout Theatre Company Productions. Keep an eye out far in advance to ensure you don't get shut out!

8. Be realistic

Unfortunately, none of the previous tips will guarantee you cheap tickets to hottest shows on Broadway at the moment (i.e. "Hamilton," "Dear Evan Hansen," "The Book of Mormon," "Wicked"). But that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other incredible shows worth seeing at an affordable price! Don't feel as if you're settling if you score tickets to a different awesome show, you can't go wrong with any Broadway show.