My Safety Is Worth More Than Your Business

Two days before Christmas, my perspective changed.

167
Court House

About six months ago, I was working. It was a Sunday evening and I only had about an hour left until closing. All of a sudden, this guy ran past me and said "I need to use your bathroom." I just kind of shrugged my shoulders, because it happens. I get it.

I sat down at my work desk when this guy came back up to me. He started talking, and me, being who I am, just sat there and tried to be nice. Until the conversation started to go downhill.

He started making sexual references and started asking me if he was the only customer there.

I said, "well it actually looks like there's several people still in here." However, that did not bother him. He continued to make sexual references. I'm going to save those details for... never. Those details are too awful to repeat. I could barely repeat them to the police. Basically, he told me that he was going to rape me and then kill me.

Kill me? How did I know?

Well, my (now former) job had a GroupMe. I tried my hardest to act slick and look like I wasn't typing in it. I ended up texting that someone needed to call the bar, which was a few doors down because I needed help.

Within 30 seconds, someone was down there. That's when this guy sexually harassing me flashed his TEN INCH ILLEGAL KNIFE at the bouncer who was attempting to help me. It didn't scare the bouncer. Well, it didn't look like it did. So, the guy ran off.

I broke down crying, because what the hell just happened?

The owners of the store showed up not too long after. They told me not to contact the police. HA. Wait. So I almost was just sexually assaulted and potentially almost killed, and you don't want me to contact authorities? I told them that I had been raped in the past and they still stood by their word. After all of that, they still made me do closing duties. I couldn't just go home.

However, when I did get to go home, I called the police. I talked to at least five different officers. I had to explain the scenario many times. I pressed charges and everything.

Six months later, I am going to court, because that guy was charged with a felony. Little did I know, he did that to girls who appeared to be alone. He told them that he was going to rape them. Just my luck though, I was the only one he attempted that with a knife. None of the other girls pressed charges.

The whole situation has affected me emotionally and mentally. It has made me scared to ever work at night again. I have a whole different perspective on who I should be "nice" to. It ultimately changed my life.

Do you want to know what the owners and manager have done to help me? Nothing.

Have they asked me if I'm okay? No.

Have they asked me if I needed anything? No.

Do you think they were understanding by giving me a day off when I had a court date? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

During my most recent court date, I was asked if I was seeking another job. At that time, I said no, because I had it made there. I was followed up with "if the owners of THE business where THIS incident happened at doesn't even attempt to be here with you today, sweetie, it's time to find another job."

I felt that. I am now employed elsewhere.

Your employees can make or break your business. Treat them with the same respect you want your business to be treated.