Bummer Summer Club

If You're Having A Bummer Summer, Join The Club

I never thought I'd actually be excited to go back to school.

19
https://unsplash.com/photos/P9rQn2qcEV0
Unsplash

When we were kids, nothing was more exciting than the last day of school. The whole day was a party where we did nothing but eat snacks and sign each other's yearbooks. Sure, it was sad saying to goodbye to our teachers and some of our friends, but it wasn't that big of a deal back then because our closest friends lived right down the street, so we were probably still going to see them most days during the summer anyway.

But in college, everything is different. Our school friends are scattered all across the country, so chances are the end of the school year really is goodbye for the whole summer. Maybe you have friends in your hometown to hang out with but between work schedules and summer classes that can be very difficult to arrange. If these things apply to you, then join the club! The Bummer Summer Club, that is.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have the summer (mostly) off, and get to do nothing for awhile. But it turns out, doing nothing gets boring really fast. I never thought I'd see the day when I looked forward to going back to school and getting back into my regular routine, but summer breaks in college are a full month longer than what I was used to in high school, so I'm going a bit stir crazy. Babysitting and summer classes help, but I still spend a lot of time alone with my thoughts, which isn't a good idea for me.

If this sounds like you, you're not alone. Don't worry, a new school year will be starting before we know it, and until then we'll just have to work a little harder to keep ourselves occupied until August.