How Not To Be A Broke College Girl

How Not To Be A Broke College Student

Learning to budget my monthly allowance is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

172
How Not To Be A Broke College Student

When I was in the third grade, I got into a fight with this girl. Not a fist fight or anything like that, but there was for sure a little screaming match between two enraged eight-year-olds. For the past few years, I had been saving up my birthday and Christmas money so I could finally claim I owned $100.

Finally, the day had arrived where I had a full $100 to my name. I was so excited about my accomplishment that I told all of my friends at recess. Most of my friends were well aware of my savings plan, and were so happy for me, except for this one girl. She thought it was impossible for me to have $100, and accused me of lying.

We angrily went back and forth at each other until the bell rang. Interestingly enough, our spat was a valid representation of how young people view money. I thought to own $100 was like winning an Olympic Gold medal, and she didn't even think having that kind of money could be possible!

Fast-forward about ten years later, and I am preparing to go off to college. School starts in roughly a week, and my mom called me downstairs to have a little chat. It's about money. My money. She informed me that she and my dad decided that while I am away at school, I will receive a monthly allowance of $150. To me, that sounds like Christmas EVERY MONTH. $150 every month sounds like SO much stuff. As if, I could make that money last forever.

Well, about that, the school year came into swing, and I run into a problem. The freedom and liberty of having access to my own debit card and having shopping sprees whenever I please were much too exciting for me to handle. First of all, I save $20 per month, I spend $45 on my nails each month, and then Amazon just EXISTS.

It is way too difficult to be on Amazon and not see a billion things that you know you don't need, but would really like. For example, I saw these adorable piggy slippers on Amazon. My feet should not be cold at night, and they are cute, so I spent $22 on them. If I am out shopping with my friends, I almost feel obligated to buy something, or else am I really having fun?

Sooner or later, my account goes from $150 to $5. It is all fun and games until it is the last week of the month, and your bank account is collecting dust. On top of that, what is even harder is not touching my savings account. If I did, I would have the ultimate shopping spree.

My parents gave me this budget so I can learn how to manage my money. I am so thankful for their generosity, and they are right, I am learning how difficult it is to manage my money. So that girl in the third grade was right, $100 does seem like a lot of money, but if you aren't careful it won't last for long.