An Open Letter To My Brother This Baseball Season

Hey batter-batter, hey batter-batter, swing.

254
Sydney Eisenberg

For as long as I could remember, watching my younger brother play baseball throughout the spring and summer months was more than just a family activity. Whether it's a travel game or tournament, or a high school game, all of the members of my family try to all be there to watch. However, this year is a little different. Being in college makes it difficult to watch my brother play in the beginning of the season which is the whole high school season. So, here's a little something so it seems like I'm in the crowd as much as I was in years past...

Dear Josh,

I want you to know that as much as I dislike baseball season because we can't spend as much time together, that I would do anything to be in the stands cheering you on with everyone. Obviously being in college so many miles away makes it difficult for me to come to games, but I'll be back to the field and in your corner in no time.

This season with school will be your first varsity season, so play your heart out like I know you will, and have no trouble doing so. As for your travel teams and tournaments, I hope you go further than you did last year, but make it home with enough time to spare so we can hang out before I have to back to school, or so I don't have to say goodbye to you a few days early!! This year (and next year), baseball is more important than it ever was. As hard as it is to get recruited by the schools that you want, I know you will be able to do it. Reach for the stars. You never know where life will take you, especially at this point in your life.

I also don't want you to ever be down on yourself this season (and beyond). If you have a bad game, or don't make it home to score a run, or make an error, just know that you tried your hardest and did your best. You sometimes tend to let one bad game or a bad day at a tournament get to you and ruin that particular day. Try and keep it positive and keep your spirits high. Be the team player everyone knows you are and have been since you were a little kid. Everyone knows that you tried your hardest, so you should to. This is because in the end, that's all that matters. You don't even realize how many people are cheering you on every game and are on your side during this important year.

As much as I wish I am able to watch you play your school season and some of your travel season and be your cheerleader, just know that I will be getting so many updates from Mom and Dad and everyone who comes to watch you and cheer you on. I hope you have an amazing season and I'll be back from school with enough time to watch you play more games this summer!! I'm so proud of you!

I love you always!

XOXO,

Syd