BROKEN WINDOWS

BROKEN WINDOWS

To The Broken Pieces Of You

32
BROKEN WINDOWS
Facebook

“Broken Windows”is social concept theory that describes the effects of neglect in a communal setting. The concept is “if a window in a building is broken and is left unrepaired, all the rest of the windows will soon be broken...one unrepaired broken window is a signal that no one cares, and so breaking more windows costs nothing.” (Wilson and Kelling 1982). Unfortunately, it is my opinion that this theory extends far beyond the sociological world, this theory is a concept that women like me understand all too well. Those “Broken Windows” are tracks of hurt and deception left on an open heart. One that is often left un-repaired, further damaged by reasons for insecurity and doubt. My windows were too transparent, drapes never alluded my thoughts or the content of my heart. My windows were left for all to see, for greedy hands to know the value of the content within and want access inside. We blame ourselves afterwards, we sit and obsess over our carelessness for our own possessions. We sit and we scrutinize the value of us... When the reality of it is, my dear, when it comes to others, willing to destroy to gain access to you... That is never your fault.

The first break comes from thieves who realize the door is locked and the easiest way in is to destroy the most vulnerable part of the home. Oftentimes, after that first break we are left with the cost of damages and unanswered questions. Others come along and they see the brokenness adding more stones to the pile, and more windows to fix. What they see becomes the standard of treatment due to the assumption that recklessness always starts from within. Or maybe that brokenness is the spawn of insecurity that spirals into whirlwinds of depression and anxiety. Maybe that brokenness is not from love but the lack of it. I just want to say to the one who lives with the broken pieces beneath her feet you are loved. Someone is going to come along and help or inspire you sweep the shatter and board up your windows with sincerity and love. Be it externally or internally you will replace the fragments of you with wholeness and beauty. You will not be left alone watching people gawk at the seemingly empty frames you keep, they will be filled. Filled by friendship and courtship, laughter and love. Because I know the feeling of the first shatter, I remember the heartbreak of watching the pieces of you scatter into lonely places, because of this I promise to guard your home and if needed,I can be your source of repair. We are not alone you may find yourself in the reflection of my pieces and I in yours. For now we are the broken ones but we are not lost! We just need to gather the fragments and place them together.