7 Broadway-Bound Musicals Spring into Full Bloom

New season means a new selection of musicals to fall in love with!
71

Spring has arrived, which means new weather and fashion trends are upon us. But let's not forget the most monumental change of all, the new works of Broadway musicals on the horizon! With the promise of the Tonys and nominations waiting to be announced in the wings, the air grows more and more stronger as they try to make their debut in time to be considered by the American Theatre Wing.

So what are these new works bursting forth garnering to make the most impressionable of first impressions? Check 'em out below!

1. "Amelie"

This new attempt from screen to stage tries to capture the Parisian charm, whimsy, and wit of its predecessor. Try being the key word here as recent reviews say this won’t be one seeing too much love. Not being too bold or even Parisian enough, and certainly not using its stars to help make a case for its existence. Surprising since powerhouse Phillipa Soo, straight off her "Hamilton" run, had the show created for her, and doesn’t add much to it sadly. Had high hopes for this one, but apparently, which can often be the case, not all films were meant to live a second life on the stage.

2. "Anastastia"

Another film to stage adaptation (and yet another trip to Paris), "Anastasia" is sure to be giving "Amelie" a run for its money. Only in previews and set to open in April, ticket sales are already going through the roof for this beloved animated film brought to fruition. New songs, new characters, and trimming the fat of ones that could never be replicated, the show seems to be off to a riveting start. And without any official reviews of its opening, if there is anything that could foresee this show’s future it’s that our title character is sure to be anything short of wonderful.

3. "Bandstand"

Yet to make its Broadway premiere, this show certainly has some standards to meet, and will probably surpass. With the dynamic duo of Corey Cott and Laura Osnes at the helm of this post-WWII swing era show, it seems to be in good hands. Cott, who is famous for his turns in "Gigi", and replacement for Jeremy Jordan in "Newsies", has grown into leading man here originating a part of his own. Osnes is no stranger to the stage from the title princess in "Cinderella" to the Bonnie to Jeremy Jordan’s Clyde, she is nothing but consistent in terms of beautiful performances. After following a successful stint at the Paper Mill Playhouse, this show has all the markings and not short of stars to make it shine.

4. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

First a book, then two movies, and now a musical? It seemed only a matter of time before this show headed to the Great White Way. Much like its Johnny Depp reimagination, it brings with a slew of doubts. Not yet officially opened, the show is sure of its direction with leading man Christian Borle, as mister Willy Wonka himself. Though it gives some meat to this sugary sweet confection of a show, I hesitate with its prospects. It will be great to see some fresh faces to bring life to these characters who we have grown up with, heck it may be like another "Matilda" on our hands. But I without judgment on this one before you go out and buy a golden ticket.

5. "Come From Away"

The words 9/11, Canadian, and musical all don’t seem they go together, but according to "Come From Away" it’s a combination for success. It’s being acclaimed as surprisingly enough a feel-good musical that helps address the after effects of such a traumatizing event. In such, where our bordering country of Canada took in passengers who needed to emergency land following such attacks. Featuring an ensemble that takes on many varying roles and emotions, things seem to click for this concept that seems widely like it would be. Does the musical parts help it mesh so successfully? I have my doubts, but mostly critics say otherwise.

6. "Groundhog Day"

Classic film to stage blunder, no? Why waste such a beloved film to take on once more? Critics argue otherwise as the charming Andy Karl takes on the cherished Billy Murray role of a reporter who is stuck living the same day over and over that is you guessed it-- Groundhog Day. Frankly, I couldn’t get be more less disinterested in the concept, but the execution seems to pay off. But the case is still to be argued of whether the charm of Karl is enough to keep this show afloat, and if the score leaves anything to be desired. Only time will tell.

7. "War Paint"

Coming from off of a nearly sold out Chicago run, "War Paint" makes it way to New York with two titan dual protagonists. In one corner, Miss Christine Ebersole, and other Miss Patti LuPone. The two take on telling the historical rivalry of two other formidable forces of Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein. LuPone and Ebersole undoubtedly deliver and make the personalities they embody proud, and legacies known. Will the show be a classic for years to come? Probably not. The score has peak moments that are mesmerizing and extremely resonant to the price women have to pay when they make it to the top, and how they still have to pay afterward, even just to exist. Perhaps the impetus for its very incarnation is more important than the content of the show itself.