15 Books That Should Be On Your "To Be Read" List

Because there's no such thing as too many books.

26
Lacie Slezak

It feels as if I find two or three new books for every one book I read! So, without further ado, here is a brief glimpse at my TBR (to be read) list, in no particular order:

1. The Stranger, Albert Camus

I just recently started this one and I am already enjoying it. The philosophical, existential perspectives and themes are highly intriguing, and Camus' prose is refreshingly different from other works I've read.

2. The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison

I found about Morrison when I was assigned one of her books, Paradise, for an English assignment at my university. After reading Paradise, I was hooked. I hear this novel is bold with its take on racial issues and the fears that we all deal with growing up. A must-read for sure.

3. This Side of Paradise, F. Scott Fitzgerald

This novel intertwines romance with the struggles of living as part of the 'Lost Generation.' After having read a couple novels that also touch on the 'Lost Generation,' I'm interested to read his depiction of it.

4. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett

I have heard amazing things about this one and I am honestly sad I haven't gotten around to it yet! Everyone who's read recommends it to me.

5. Cloud Atlas, David C. Mitchell

Everything about this novel makes me want to read it: the story lines, thematics, stylistic structure. It will be a fun one to read for sure.

6. Beloved, Toni Morrison

Yes, I'm back to Morrison! Another great piece of literature by her. I hear this one actually includes some poetry, so I'm excited for that added stylistic and to see how it aids the story.

7. A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway

Hemingway. Need I say more?

8. For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway

Yes, Hemingway again! And I hear this one surpasses 'A Farewell to Arms,' so I'll have to compare notes once I finish them both.

9. Paradiso, Dante

I have already read 'Inferno' and 'Purgatorio' by Dante for an English course at my university. Initially, I was skeptical, but I ended up loving them. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time during the semester to study the final one, Paradiso, so I am excited to read it and finish out the Divine Comedy.

10. Holding Up the Universe, Jennifer Niven

Because cute love stories are fun to read. Also, one of Niven's other books, All The Bright Places, was absolutely amazing and it made me want to read more of her work.

11. The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis

I have no words other than this is a must read for everyone, and I can't believe I still haven't gotten around to it.

12. A Grief Observed, C.S. Lewis

Considering the troubles I've been through in my life thus far, I couldn't not add it to my list. Not only is C.S. Lewis a great author, but I hear this piece of work is so raw and intense; very honest. It addresses doubts, anger, fear, and more; all the emotions that grief tries to bury you in.

13. More Than This, Patrick Ness

After I heard about this book I immediately order it online and it is now sitting on my book shelf waiting to be read! Everything about it intrigued me, and I have no doubts it'll live up to my hype.

14. Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut

Vonnegut is amazing and I'm sure I will re-read this at least twice.

15. A Separate Peace, John Knowles

I just recently found about this novel and it sounds riveting. I don't know too much about it yet, but I know I want to read it! I would suggest looking it up if you haven't heard of it before either.

I look forward to crossing each one of these off my TBR list as soon as possible, though I'm quite certain new ones will fill their places quickly. If any of you have some suggestions let me know!