Break Up With Your Phone And Pay Attention To Life
Technology

Stop Looking Down At Your Phone — Break Up With It And Look Up At Life

Keep your head held up high.

203

"WOW, did you see that?!" See what exactly? I wouldn't be able to tell you "what" because I was too busy on my phone, not paying attention to my surroundings.

Do you use your phone when walking? I, too, am guilty. One day when you are walking down the street, take note of how many are people are looking down at their phones. I started to break this habit. Instead of looking down, I look up or what's ahead of me (so I don't get hit by a car or walk into others).

I never realized beautiful buildings, how many stars are in the sky or how the sky changes colors.

We miss so many opportunities because of the device that can fit into our pocket or be held without us thinking its a chore. For example, holding your phone doesn't feel like holding a bag and all you want to do is put the bag down. You never think about putting your phone down.

Our phones have a certain amount of storage, so you can only take so many pictures and videos. However, there is no limit to what you see and your memories.

One night I decided to go to the bay with my friends. I have been to this place many times before, but I always took a picture of the water and then left. I decided to leave my phone in the car and take that same picture, but with my eyes.

I never noticed how you can see cars on a road far away, how big the moon was shining over the water or how peaceful everything looked and sounded.

I thought I was on vacation. Then my friend tapped me, said, "Here you go," and handed me my phone. I asked, "Why did you bring me this? I left it in the car for a reason." He replied, "I thought you NEEDED it." He then turned to my friends and continued to say, "...her life is on her phone."

BAM. It hit me. My own friends thought I couldn't live without my phone. Ever since then, whenever I hung with friends or just walked around, I decided to enjoy what is right in front of me and not on a man-made screen.

Whatever is on that screen will still be there later. Who knows, I could've missed a shooting star.

As I said, I don't know "what" I missed because I was on my phone.