Brad vs finish nailer: Can you use a brad nailer for baseboard?
Health Wellness

You would probably wonder if you can employ a brad nailer for baseboard or what's the difference between a brad and finish nailer. This article will solve all your queries related to a brad nailer. Read on to know more.

4439

Using brad nailer for baseboard

When it comes to using a brad nailer for fixing baseboards, the answer is no. You can't use a brad nailer to fasten baseboards. Instead, you have to use a finish nailer. Even though both of these nailers look the same, have almost the same size, and use the same nails, they are quite different from each other. Let us take a look at a few differences between brad vs finish nailer.

When to use a brad nailer?

A brad nailer is usually a little smaller as compared to a finish nailer. You can easily see the difference between a brad nailer and finish nailer on the basis of their size. However, a brad nailer has less holding power as compared to a finish nailer since it technically does not employ nails.

Brad nailers make use of brads, which is why they are known as brad nailers. These brads basically have a thinner nail gauge that is used to fix lightweight trim. The main benefit of using a brad nailer over a finish nailer is that the former uses brads that are thin gauged with a smaller head. This means you don't need to make use of wood putty in order to cover the hole.

On the other hand, finish nailers make use of bigger gauged nails, which increases the risk of breaking thin pieces or splitting the trim you're installing. Furthermore, a brad nailer can be used to join wood trim to wood. This is because the wood structure requires a safe attachment without the need for a bigger head that is found in finish nails.

When to use a finish nailer?

A finish nailer is quite versatile as compared to a brad nailer. However, it's not good when you have to fix thin trim pieces or delicate wood. Nevertheless, a finish nailer has a much stronger holding power than a brad nailer.

This means you can easily attach heavy or large trim pieces, such as wide crown molding, cabinetry, or baseboards, using a finish nailer. A brad nailer does not have the holding power required to attach such units. Moreover, if you don't use a finish nailer, the wood will pull away from the wall in the long term.

Usually, when you install crown molding or baseboards, you directly attach them to the drywall. This is where a finish nailer comes in handy as compared to a brad nailer. A drywall is not structurally sound to attach something to, which means a brad nailer won't work on it since it will easily unfasten.

On the other hand, when you use a finish nailer, you can strongly attach these things by just hitting the studs once or twice for the fine measure. Furthermore, finish nails have a bigger diameter head as compared to brads.

Even though brads will result in a fully hidden hole, they will not be able to hold significantly heavy wood pieces. A finish nailer can get the job done in such a case while keeping the wood pieces in position.

What size of finishing nails to choose for baseboards?

The gauge or size of the nail you choose depends on the type of material you use and your particular project. You must steer clear of very long nails since they can pierce hidden piping or wiring. When it comes to a baseboard, it's the trim that is found at the base of a finished interior wall. The purpose of baseboards is to make the joint between the wall and the floor look clean. Moreover, they also protect the wall's base from damage.

Trim nailers are distinguished on the basis of gauge or thickness of the nails used by them. Bigger gauge numbers have smaller nails. Finish nailers make use of the biggest trim nails and range from 15 to 16 gauges.

Therefore, a finish nailer is perfect to use on baseboards for a fine finish. You must use a finish nailer that has a larger gauge, which means smaller nails. This will result in a smoother finish since the small nail will leave a small hole with less filling to be done on your part.

When it comes to baseboards, you require a nail with a smaller diameter. This is because a nail with a very thick size can split up the wood owing to the nature of the baseboard material. Since baseboards are generally painted so as to match your interior décor and walls, you must use an appropriate gauge nail in order to reduce the amount of filling and sanding you have to do after completing the project.

And, if you are working on unpainted baseboards, then you must employ a punch in order to drop the hole where the wood is tainted and then fill up the hole using wood putty or filler. This will result in a smoother finish as well as disguise the nail head.

Baseboards do not have a structural purpose; they are just used to cover or decorate the construction at their back. This is why the nail you use must only be long enough to fasten the baseboard in place.

Thus, you must choose wisely when it comes to which nailer to use as per the specific project you're working on. For this, you must know the difference between a brad nailer and a finish nailer. And, when it comes to baseboards, you cannot use a brad nailer for baseboard; instead, you need a finish nailer for baseboards.

Author Bio:

Joseph Roberts is the owner of Bradnailer24h which is a professional review site for many types of nailers in the market, analyze the models from different brands and offers shopping guide. On our website, we provide all the necessary insight on available nail gun kits. Our website is regularly updated with trusted information about nail gun and our aim is to help you effectively determine which product is suitable for you. On our website, you will find true reviews from real users. You can learn both positive and negative aspects of the products from the user's viewpoint. If you are looking for every detail on nail gun kits in one place, this website is the one for you.