Boys Wear Makeup Too

Boys Wear Makeup Too

A few reasons why guys are getting into cosmetics.

1327
Boys Wear Makeup Too

As a guy who wears makeup, people really love to make assumptions about me and people like me. Usual questions and or statements are...

"Why would a boy wear makeup?"

"You do better makeup than me and I'm a girl."

"He looks like a girl."

Now while some of these comments are intended to be compliments, there are a few things wrong with them, and I'll tell you what they are.

1) "Why would a boy wear makeup?"

First off, this question is based solely on gender, and that is positively insane, my friends. This question is 100% no different than a man asking, "Why do girls want to play sports?" Both questions make assumptions about a person based on their gender and societal influences. Just because it's been a norm in everyday culture to see women represented in the cosmetic industry and see them actually use it, does not mean that is wrong for men to wear it. It just means that due to decades of repeated visuals we've become accustomed to it.

2) "You do better makeup than me, and I'm a girl"

While this statement can be quite flattering at times, it can become quite tiresome and almost a little irritating. It's not that we don't enjoy being told that our work is good, it's just that when it's backed up by a stereotype it's not the best feeling. This statement, while nice and appreciated, makes the argument that only women know how to use makeup. It makes the assumption that it's completely bizarre and not of this universe to see a man, who as all the same qualifications it takes to apply makeup (A face and two hands, hell, maybe even just one) to simply use makeup. If you ever see a man in real life, or on social media and you'd like to compliment his makeup, if he happens to be wearing it, simple phrases like "Love your makeup" or "Yes gawd, c'mon browwwwssss" are both fitting and appropriate.

3) "He looks like a girl."

No, this is just a no. Men in makeup do not look like girls. Men in makeup look like themselves with a few alterations. Unless someone is actively trying to look like a woman, whether it be because they're a drag queen, or a real woman, and yes that includes trans women because trans women are real women, it's best to leave comments like that to yourself. Unless stated otherwise, men in makeup are MEN; they are 100% male. Just because they decide to take on traditionally feminine characteristics does not change a single thing about their gender. A man can have a full face of makeup, leggings and high heels on and still be a fully identified man. Clothes and makeup change a person's outward appearance and nothing else.

Here are examples of men in makeup

Patrick Starrr

Manny Gutierrez AKA MannyMUA

Thomas Halbert

Nick Amedin (Me)

All three of the men I decided to include in this article are not only extremely talented, as you can tell, but also makeup artists and enthusiasts that I personally look up to. While their skill level is far beyond mine they inspire me and remind me that it's okay to do pursue something I love.

This article is in no way aimed to attack anyone who has any questions or curiosity about men wearing makeup; it's just a small guide to possibly give you some answers and give you a heads up next time you'd like to ask a question.

If you want a quick overview, here you go.

Men wear makeup because we simply have different interests than other people. We wear it because we enjoy the craft and artistry behind it. We in no way attempt or want to be women unless clearly stated otherwise. Makeup is fun and amazing, so if you'd like to join in grab some and put it all over your face because after all it's just makeup, and it wipes off and the end of the day.