Conversion Therapy Is The Core Of "Boy Erased," But It Also Tackles So Much More

The new film "Boy Erased" tackles the subject of conversion therapy. While that might be at its core, the film also addresses so much more.

216
Youtube

NOTE: This article contains spoilers of the film.

Every once in a while a film comes along that not only moves you, but makes you want to show it to everyone you know. There's a kind of significance in not only the subject matter, but the way it's handled. It appears to say so many things you wish you were able to articulate. It's the kind of film that takes the words right out of your mouth. Well, I'm happy to tell you that "Boy Erased" is that kind of a film.

The film is based on the memoir of the same name by Garrard Conley and directed by Joel Edgerton. It details the harrowing reality of conversion therapy as experienced by Conely when he was a freshman in college. Lucas Hedges plays Jared Eamons (based on Conley himself). Nicole Kidman plays his mother, Nancy, and Russell Crowe plays his father, Marshall. Edgerton himself plays Victor Sykes, the head of Love In Action, the conversion therapy program Jared is sent to by his parents.

All of the actors delivered outstanding performances. With all the Oscar buzz this film has, it would be a real disappointment if it were shut out. Lucas Hedges without a doubt deserves a nomination for Best Actor. His ability to convey emotion on screen in both subtle and extreme ways in this film was outstanding. Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe both deserve nominations in their respective supporting actor categories. Troye Sivan should also be nominated in the Best Original Song category for "Revelation," his beautiful contribution to the soundtrack.

Conversion therapy is a subject that is not new to film and television. "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" was another film released this year on the subject. "South Park" even devoted an episode to the practice when Butters is sent to a "pray the gay away" camp. Both projects dealt with the darkness of conversion therapy by using humor. Neither effort was making light of the programs and it was clear their hearts were in the right place. However, this is one way "Boy Erased" separates itself from previous representation. There is no comic relief when witnessing the so-called "therapy." You only feel disturbed, sad, and frustrated for the members within it.

Xavier Dolan and Troye Sivan play fellow members of the program, both of which offer Jared totally different advice on how to handle the ordeal. Dolan's character, Jon, tells Jared he should put in the effort and try to change. Gary, Sivan's character, suggests Jared "play the part" and fake his way through the program. It is one of few moments in the film where Jared is offered the opposite perspective from his strictly religious parents. The other comes when a doctor tells Jared he is "perfectly normal" just before he is sent off to Love In Action.

However, the film doesn't ignore the disturbing reality of those who think people like Jared are very abnormal. In a painful scene, a boy named Cameron (played by Britton Sear) is given a mock funeral after he's caught breaking one of the program's rules. He is then beaten with a bible by several people, including his own family. One thing Edgerton could have done to pack a heavier punch is let the scene play out normally. Instead, dramatic music starts and the rest of the scene is shown in slow motion. The pain and humiliation this young man feels during this scene are palpable, though. It makes his eventual suicide even more heartbreaking.

Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea turns in a role as Brandon, an ex-con who attempts to coach the boys on masculinity. For a while, the character comes across pretty predictable. However, there is one scene between him and Jared in a bathroom which takes it to a whole new level. It almost feels like some kind of sexual abuse might take place, but thankfully doesn't. Brandon is able to inflict fear in not only Jared, but the viewing audience. It shows how much respect Flea deserves as an actor. He says so little in that scene, but takes over with his presence.

There is one scene, however, in which Jared is sexually abused. Earlier in the film, we see a flashback as Jared reflects on past experiences with the same sex. This is for his moral inventory, a moment when members of the program stand up and confess their "sins" to the rest of the group. Jared meets Henry (played by Joe Alwyn), a fellow student who becomes his running buddy. Henry brings Jared to one of his church groups and crashes his dorm room one night after playing video games. This is where Henry rapes Jared before tearfully admitting he also did this to another boy.

As disturbing as the scene is, it's an important one to show audiences. When the subject of sexual assault comes up, it mostly focuses on female victims. Male victims are often ignored, shut out of the conversation, and not taken seriously. The power in this part of the story, however, comes in the aftermath of the rape. This is also where we begin to see Jared's strength shine through. After Henry outs Jared to his parents, he makes it clear Henry is a rapist. Jared even crosses Henry's name off his moral inventory. When Sykes confronts Jared about Henry, Jared says, "that was his sin, not mine." These scenes make it very clear that what happened to Jared was rape. It doesn't allow the audience to dismiss the incident as merely a bad experience.

It also becomes clear at this moment that the film is about more than just conversion therapy. That is certainly the base of the story, but so many other issues branch off of that. These issues include family, religion, rape, growing up, and toxic masculinity. Toxic masculinity is a term that has been widely misinterpreted and misused over the past few years. It doesn't define masculinity in general as toxic, but certain ways in which it can be taken to a toxic place. There are so many examples throughout this film. It's obvious when we see Brandon trying to coach the boys at the program. It's evident when Jared visits the doctor after he's outed because his father wants to check his testosterone levels. It's even visible when Jared confronts his father about how emotionally closed off he is.

Jared's talk with his father comes at the end of the film. Jared tells his father that he isn't going to change and Marshall reconciles with his son. It is a moment that comes four years after he escaped Love In Action, with help from his mother. Throughout the film, there is a running joke about Jared's mother getting upset with him for sticking his arm out the car window when they're driving. She says a truck might pass by and he could lose his arm. As Jared leaves his father's office, he's seen driving to the airport to catch a flight to his new home in New York City. As he's driving, Jared sticks his arm out the window. This moment is a beautiful metaphor for independence and growing up. It symbolizes doing what's best for you, even if it goes against your parents' wishes. It's a perfect way to wrap up the story.

However, it's important to note that Jared still has love and respect for his parents. He doesn't want to cut ties with either one of them. He understands why they made the choices they did and forgives them. This is perhaps the most important aspect of the film. The movie doesn't villainize Jared's parents the way some might want it to. That makes this film accessible to those who are both against and in favor of conversion therapy.

As important as it is to pass laws banning conversion therapy, this will not permanently end the practice. Religious institutions are protected under the law and conversion therapy is a religious practice. Not to mention the fact that not every program is called "pray the gay away." Some will be disguised with a completely unrelated title like, say, Love In Action. Due to this harsh reality, the only way to permanently end this practice is to change minds. In order to change minds, you can't make your opposition feel attacked. Otherwise, they will just shut down and stop listening. For this reason, Joel Edgerton handled Garrard Conley's story perfectly. "Boy Erased" really has the power to change minds and therefore, change the culture.