13 Bops By One-Hit Wonders

13 Bops By One-Hit Wonders

Let us take a stroll through some of the greatest songs by one-hit wonders that are still absolute bops.

19
13 Bops By One-Hit Wonders
Photo by Mya Pfeifer

Today, September 25, is National One-Hit Wonder Day, which means it is the perfect time to reminisce on some of the most iconic songs of all time. These songs had a greater cultural impact than the U.S. Constitution, even though their artists did not have quite the same success. Most of these songs were covered on Glee, but that doesn't make them any less of iconic bops.

1. "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds (1985)

Anyone who has seen the Breakfast Club knows the significance of this song and a fist in the air. It's just an all-around amazing song and it's unfair that we were never given another popular song by Simple Minds.

2. "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners (1982)

Thank God for "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" for bringing this song into my life. Anyone want to come up with our own living room routine?

3. "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia (1997)

This song is such a vibe and it also reminds me so much of the years I spent obsessing over One Direction... if you know you know.

4. "Jump Around" by House of Pain (1992)

Growing up as a huge fan of the University of Wisconsin - Madison, this song may have had a greater cultural impact on me than most. However, if you've ever been to Madison, Wisconsin, then you will see the cultural impact the song has had for fans and student.

5. "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot (1992)

Oh my God Becky, look at this song! I like this song and I cannot lie. The icing on the cake is Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda"

6. "Cotton Eye Joe" by Rednex (1995)

If you try to tell me you DIDN'T bust it down to this song at a middle school dance, you're a liar.

7. "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus (2000)

Once again, a huge shout out to the retired Directioners.

8. "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne (2003)

If you haven't considered naming your future daughter Stacy just so you can play this song and hear that you've got it going on... you really should consider it. I think I'm going to do it.

9. "Shake It" by Metro Station (2008)

Imagine: it's 2008 and you just got home from school. You grab some Scooby Doo fruit snacks and go straight to the desktop computer. You log on to Webkinz to feed your pets and play some games. Life is good.

Flash forward and imagine: you're on Tik Tok and there's now a viral trend to this song. You think about the simple times and you realize life is not as good anymore.

10. "Bulletproof" by La Roux (2010)

Most of us probably heard the Pitch Perfect version first, but that doesn't mean the original is any less of a classic.

11. "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen (2012)

Yes, I know Carly Rae Jepsen has had a couple of other popular songs, but how many can you actually name?

12. "Ex's & Oh's" by Elle King (2014)

This song made you feel like a baddie, don't lie.

13. "Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) by Silento (2015)

Similar to the Harlem Shake, Gangnam Style, and Nasty Freestyle, this song contributed to the viral dance culture that we can't help but enjoy (even if we enjoy in secret).