5 Books To Read In Your Down Time

5 Books To Read In Your Down Time

Just in case you have some of that to spare.

36
5 Books To Read In Your Down Time
Photo by Koshevaya_k on Pexels

College life is always busy. There's always homework to complete, activities to do, and friends to hang out with. It seems like there's almost no time to relax, much less read a book. Here are 5 books that make it worth it.

1. "The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue" by V.E. Schwab

biblio.in.a.bookstore / Instagram

This novel is a cute standalone that follows the life of Addie LaRue, a girl who is given immortality, but it comes with a price. In order to avoid being shackled to a husband, she makes a deal with the devil, who grants her the gift of immortality but revokes her ability to make a mark on the world.

This means that she can't break anything, create anything, but most importantly, no one can remember her. That is, until she meets a young man in a bookstore. The novel switches between present day and the 1700's, however it doesn't feel like a historical piece, but rather a contemporary one. If you're looking for a sweet, but tear-inducing love story, this book is a perfect pick for you!

2. "Six of Crows" by Leigh Bardugo

biblio.taurus_ / Instagram

This book is the start of a fantasy duology written by Leigh Bardugo. Set in the same world as her other series, "The Grisha Trilogy", the book follows five new characters who survive on the streets of Ketterdam and one locked in prison. Led by the infamous Kaz Brekker, the group of six outcasts leave the comforts of Ketterdam to pull off a heist that will either end in painful deaths or immeasurable wealth.

This book in particular is a great one to start, and soon, because the Netflix series "Shadow and Bone" combining this duology and her prior trilogy premieres on April 23. Thrilling and impossible to put down, this book is a great book to stay up all night reading.

3. "Aurora Rising" by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

paperheart_reads / Instagram

"Aurora Rising" is the first of three in the "Aurora Cycle" series, written by authors Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. This duo also wrote the "Illuminae" series, but this trilogy is set in an entirely different universe. Set in 2380, cadets graduating from the Aurora Academy are sent out on their first jobs. Though Tyler Jones is the star of his class, he manages to stick himself with the stray cadets, a mismatch of quirky personalities.

When it seems like things can't get any worse, they manage to find a girl named Auri who's been asleep for two centuries. This discovery sparks a war of the centuries, and it's up to the mismatch of outcasts to sort things out. If you're a fan of casual science fiction and romance, this book is exactly that!

4. "Such a Fun Age" by Kiley Reid

pieladybooks / Instagram

"Such a Fun Age", written by Kiley Reid, is a standalone book that explores the concept of "woke" racism. Set in present day, a conflict arises when African American babysitter Emira Tucker is confronted by security guards who assume the child she is watching, Briar Chamberlain, is being kidnapped.

Though the incident is initially dropped, Briar's mother Alix, a wealthy, white blogger, becomes fascinated with both the situation and with Emira herself. This book is a fast, easy read that manages to tackle nuanced topics concerning race and socio-economic status. It's a book everyone should read!

5. "Wilder Girls" by Rory Power

bubblegum.pages / Instagram

This book is a horror standalone written by Rory Power. It takes place at the Raxter School for Girls following an eighteen month quarantine. The quarantine is due to the mysterious illness called "Tox" that killed each and every one of the teachers and proceeded to invade the students, changing their bodies and forcing them to fend for themselves. Hetty had settled on waiting for the cure to Tox, but when Byatt goes missing, she cannot sit idly by.

Forcing herself to brave the outer world and the dangers that lie within, she discovers there's more to Tox and Raxter than she had ever imagined. Fair warning, this book is pretty gory and violent, but it has bad-ass female characters with LGBTQ romances. The writing is just as pretty as the cover itself, and if that doesn't make you want to read it, I don't know what will!