5 Great Books With Strong Female Leads

5 Great Books With Strong Female Leads

All of these books are considered to be classics, yet also include a strong female character that any young girl or young women could look up to.

27
5 Great Books With Strong Female Leads

While reading is not everyone's cup of tea, these books are especially good reads for young girls and young women who need a good female character to look up to. All of the women/girls in these books are independent and think for themselves. They don't let anyone tell them what they need to think, do, or say. Although they are fictional characters, they can influence girls to be strong-minded and ready to conquer the world.

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

pin.it

Harriet is an 11-year-old self-proclaimed spy. She keeps a notebook with a record of everything that goes on about her friends and classmates. One day her notebook gets in the wrong hands and everyone knows every awful thing that Harriet has written about them.

She goes through a hard time having her classmates and best friends reject her. She does her best to be strong and figure things out on her own. Though she fights obstacles, she finds peace and forgiveness in the end. She exemplifies what it means to be both young, independent, and determined even through very tough challenges.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

pin.it

Fangirl is about an 18-year-old girl, Cath, who while very intelligent and a great writer, is having a tough time transitioning from high school to college. She has always been a shy girl that has depended on her social and outgoing twin sister Wren.

While Wren wants to be independent and branch out in college, Cath isn't ready to make new friends and let go of her best friend/sister. Wren is smart and ready to conquer the education aspect of college, but the social part scares her to death. Eventually, she learns to stand her ground and enjoy her time in college.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

pin.it

Anne Shirley is an outgoing, young red-headed orphan who is sent to live with and an elderly man and his sister, Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Anne learns that they wanted a boy who would work on their farm, but they got Anne instead.

She does not let this stop her from trying to convince them that she should stay with him, and eventually her talkative and sweet personality wins over Matthew. Though she faces obstacles throughout the story, she continues to remain outgoing and optimistic about the future.

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

pin.it

Whether you have read the book or watched the movie, most of us know the story of the hunger games. It tells a story of Katniss Everdeen, a courageous girl who takes the place of her little sister to fight in hunger games for her district.

Katniss not only proves to be smart, strong, and skillful, but she proves that she is the best choice for tribute anyways. She exemplifies what it means to be a strong independent woman.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

pin.it

Elizabeth is seen as the less "pretty" one compared to her sister Jane, yet Jane still needs to get married nonetheless. She is determined that she won't marry if she has to settle. Her family wants her to marry for money, but she wants to marry for love.

Mr. Darcy takes notice to Elizabeth but allows his preconceived opinions about her being of a lower class than him keep him from admitting his feelings to anyone even himself, therefore Mr. Darcy comes across as a snobby and cold person, driving Elizabeth away.

Once Darcy comes around to admitting his feelings, it takes Elizabeth a while to accept him because of her first impressions of him. Though not everyone sees it, Elizabeth knows that she deserves the best and she was willing to wait for her perfect man, who even though it wasn't apparent right away, was Mr. Darcy.