7 Books Everyone Should Have On Their Summer Reading List

Even with our busy lives and family vacations, there is always time for a powerful book.

139
Author's photo

If you keep up on my articles every week, you’ll know that books, literature, and words make up a huge part of who I am. Because of that, I constantly have books that I want others to read and share the emotional journey with. This short list is just a helpful start for all of those who are interested in spending their summer with a book in their hand.

1. Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sara J. Maas

No matter who you are, I will always recommend these two series by my all-time favorite author. Sarah J. Maas manages to not only create this beautifully complex world, but her writing style captivates the reader to feel every sentence alongside the characters. Both books are young adult fantasy and even if you do not typically read this genre, it is worth it for these books. Maas is the author who has inspired me the most, who has shown me just how possible it is to reach for the stars.

2. How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America by Kiese Laymon

This extremely powerful collection of essays makes you examine yourself and the world around you. From the very beginning with Laymon’s letter to his uncle to the last word on the page, the essays are filled with raw emotion. I had to read this as a required text for a class my fall semester, but I have never been happier that this book entered my life. Laymon’s voice will forever be in mind because he has one that deserves to be heard.

3. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Lately there has been a lot of hype around the new TV show based off this book. An emotional journey is put upon the characters and the audience, but there is nothing that compares to reading the actual book. I picked this book up in seventh grade, years before it this Netflix show took off, and I think reading the book gives you more of an appreciation for the story Asher created—a story that has realistic truth to the world we live in today.

4. Beloved by Toni Morrison

After reading Toni Morrison’s book Sula and having the breath taken out of me from Morrison’s writing, I put this book on my list for the summer. While I haven’t read it yet, I’ve heard nothing but amazing things. My professor even mentioned that this book is one that everyone should read.

5. Looking for Alaska by John Green

Unpopular opinion here, but I am actually not a huge John Green fan. I think a lot of his books are, for lack of a better word, basic. However, I will recommend this one. I think this is one of his fiction novels for young adults that dives deeper than the surface of issues. Like the other books on this list, Looking for Alaska holds a lot of emotion within its paper pages.

6. Her by Pierre Alex Jeanty

For poetry lovers, I recommend this book by Pierre Alex Jeanty. Speaking for the strength and beauty of women, this book is one for those who need a reminder of a woman’s worth. A lot of people struggle with poetry because they are unsure if they will be able to connect with the theme, but I promise Jeanty voice is loud, clear, and influential.

7. I Am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll

I’m not a huge thriller/mystery reader, but this book pulled me in quickly. My mom decided an audio book was needed for our long drive up to my college after Thanksgiving break and while I was annoyed at first, I actually loved the book. I ended up finishing it on my own at school and frantically texting my mom about it every step of the way. Driscoll knows how to keep her readers at the edge of their seat by switching point of view to a different character as you start a new chapter. With all characters showing their side, the true story is revealed.

Seven books are just not enough for me to recommend because I have so many on my mind all the time. So, just to squeeze one more suggestion into my article, if you’re interested in sci-fi and fantasy then Breathing Space by Ian Fydell is the way to go. A finalist in the Indie Book Awards and a family friend, this author began his trilogy with a true a page turner. I know summer doesn’t last forever and we all live busy lives. But, if you do have extra time to spare, or want to make time to read, these books would be a great way to get started for the summer. Happy reading everyone!