The Bombshell That Has No Power

The Bombshell That Has No Power

I applaud the three women in the movie for wanting to try and portray the victims.

45
The Bombshell That Has No Power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXL33tEUA3g

In December the release of "Bombshell" will hit the movie theaters just in time to get Oscar nominations. There are four main characters in this film: Megyn Kelly played by Charlize Theron, Gretchen Carlson played by Nicole Kidman, Kayla Pospisil played by Margot Robbie, and Roger Ailes played by John Lithgow. These are heavy hitters with a history of making some very controversial movies. Though in my opinion, this one probably won't make the mark the media is forecasting.

One of the main reasons, this story has not ended. The #MeToo Movement is still in its infancy. Also, the movie industry is trying to put a nice little ending to an ongoing problem that didn't start at FOX nor did it end at FOX once Roger Ailes died. However, I watched the first trailer of the three women in the elevator and the silence that was as loud as a high-speed train running into the side of a mountain will more than likely be lost on most people.

Like any other sexual assault, it is hard for a victim to communicate their experience. It is also harder to do it when the victims have closely entwined in a working relationship that in this case is highly competitive. The man behind this scene set these women against each other. Roger Ailes used his position in the corporation to prey on women, make them empty promises and then blame them for their failures in the organization.

In 2016, after Carlson filed suit against Ailes, and I recall sitting in a restaurant having a quiet dinner in Nashville, Tennessee when I overheard the waitress and a regular discussing the lawsuit. To my astonishment and dismay, the waitress was accusing Carlson of lying or in her words, "she's a disgruntled employee that wants more money. There is a good chance he refused to sleep with her, and she is retaliating." My point is, women are our own worst enemies.

I can't count how many times in my life have I heard a woman say, "a strong powerful woman must have slept her way to the top." Or "A woman dresses, acts, and puts herself in the situation that caused her to be assaulted or harassed." The saddest part is the women making these statements probably have no idea that they too have been harassed in one way or another. Like commenting on their clothing, telling them to smile because it makes her look pretty, or a slight brush against their breast or backside. No matter the incident, they brushed it off as a misunderstanding and let the culprit go on to make other women feel defeated and uncomfortable in their working environment.

Many women will think twirling around to show her figure to her boss because she is a beautiful woman is not harassment, many men will think it is his right to ask a woman who represents his company to look, dress, and act a certain way. It doesn't have to be in a movie or television studio. These incidents occur regularly in all kinds of offices and even warehouses, department stores, and restaurants. The silence is as deafening as the teaser release of this movie.

I applaud the three women in the movie for wanting to try and portray the victims. However, why has the movie industry set their goals on a movie written by a man, Charles Randolph, to show a woman's point of view and in addition, directed by a man, Jay Roach? I get the feeling while Harvey Weinstein awaits his fate in New York City, Hollywood is going to try and take the attention off their mistreatment of women for decades and tie it up with a nice little bow on a dead television producer.

If you are planning to see this movie, I suggest you take it as purely the entertainment value that most movies are meant to have. Don't for one minute think the #MeToo Movement has been a fleeting moment in time and all is well concerning men and women in the workplace. There are generations of "he said she said" situations all over this country that will not be solved in a 120-minute movie.