Body Positivity is the Best Kind of Positivity There is

Body Positivity Is The Best Positivity There Is

There's nothing more beautiful than the skin you're in.

120

Body positivity is the best positivity there is, and loving yourself is healthy and as equally important. I strongly encourage women to be confident with who they are, and what they look like. Every woman should support other women around them as well, as we all need encouragement and reassurance of our beauty.

When I was in middle school, there was nothing more I wanted, than to feel confident in myself. It's not that I wasn't confident with how my body looked, but I frequently wanted things to look "better" or "prettier" in my eyes. I really had to take a step back as I entered high school by taking a look in the mirror, and appreciating how beautiful I really am. There are women who tend to be critical of themselves on a daily basis, and I've been there. But there's so much growth that can happen from this kind of thinking, rather than accepting and taking in the negativity and lies.

I believe that perfectionism in a person can negatively alter how one thinks about themselves. Take it from me. During my years in middle school especially, I would strive for perfection — but the kind that appeared to be unhealthy. I would feel the need to do my makeup or hair a certain way and at times it would take almost two hours, or even choosing between what seemed like 20 different outfits each morning before school because I didn't feel like I looked mature enough, although I was only in seventh or eighth grade.

At the time, I just wanted to look older because of how other girls around me were dressing. To tell you the truth, that didn't do anything good for me. I felt my self-worth go down the drain and I felt like I would never grow out of what I was internally dealing with. This was typically due to how introverted I was by keeping my thoughts to myself, and not letting many people in, in general.

We are currently in the year 2019. A year that has evolved girls into thinking if they don't look a certain way, they "aren't attractive or even noticeable." With this being said, it is crucial that women become critical viewers of social media platforms as well, as it can honestly raise some red flags.

Don't look at pictures on social media and think to yourself, "I want to look like that. I SHOULD look like that. Why can't I be as pretty as her? What is wrong with me? etc." Thinking like this will most definitely take you down an unhealthy, wrong, and destructive path. Most of the girls on Instagram who frequently post, honestly make themselves look entirely fake, and on our end, it shouldn't be believed that that is what they "really" look like.

Instead, force yourself to say a compliment out loud. I recommend that you do this, because eventually, a positive mindset, will become your natural thoughts. From experience, this strategy has turned my thinking completely around. Along with this, don't compare yourself to others. Everyone is unique in all sorts of ways. You are original, and no one can ever be an exact replica of you. Your individuality stands out in such a wonderful way because the truth is, what's even more beautiful than the skin you're in? Sculpted to perfection.

I believe that body positivity is so important because each woman deserves to feel beautiful and special every morning that they wake up and get ready for the day. As you are putting on your makeup, picking out an outfit, or putting on those heels that you might seem hesitant about; you have nothing to lose. Embrace your elegance and the beauty that has been given to you. Show it off. Walk out of the house with your head held high with the utmost confidence. Be strong and unbreakable.