How Body Dysmorphic Disorder Can Take Over

Your Reflection In The Mirror Does Not Define Who You Are

Stop critiquing your body, there are other ways to spend your time.

98

In the day and time we live in today, we could all probably choose one thing we would change about ourselves. I can almost bet that every girl my age has gone to look in the mirror to make sure her clothes match or that her hair is straight and been disappointed about something that she sees. Maybe the issue was a simple wardrobe change, or maybe it was something a little bit deeper. Maybe we are only seeing ourselves through a hypercritical eye and look for "bad" things.

Personally, this has been a trying year with how I look at myself and view my body. I am trying to get healthier and started taking better care of myself. I have come to the realization that the numbers on the scale are not the important part. The important thing is being healthy for you. We have seen so many women in the media trying to be skinny and maintain that tiny bodyweight, but they go through so much mentally to be able to do that.

There is a disease called body dysmorphic disorder which takes the disliking of your body to a whole new level. In a way, it takes what you see and alters that reality influencing obsession, anxiety, OCD, and eating disorders. No one should have to go through this and with warmer seasons on the forefront, we need to remember not to risk our mental health just to be able to look like other people.

We need to be happy, confident and also healthy in these coming seasons. We also need to remember to not body shame others who do not look like us whether they weigh more and can't lose weight or even weigh less and can't gain weight. I have friends who are so tiny but that's because they have a fast metabolism. I have seen their feelings get hurt because someone says "well you just need to eat a hamburger" when they eat all the time and can't put on weight. Body shaming is one of the worst ways you can negatively affect someone else.

You never know what other people are going through or what they have been through, and this can affect people in many different ways. Mental health is extremely important. When you shame people about their body that puts their mental health in jeopardy because it does affect people.