3 Black-Owned Restaurants In Providence, Rhode Island

3 Black-Owned Restaurants In Providence, Rhode Island Everyone Should Absolutely Support

All have dine-in and delivery options.

378

Hey! Remember when you and your friends decided to be "woke" the month of June in honor of Black lives?

Well, let's keep up the stamina, shall we?

Black empowerment is not limited to social media posts and activism. Participation at the local level is just as effective, and arguably, just as important. Some ways to express support beyond the social media sphere include providing aid, resources, and contribution.

Lucky for you, my fellow friars, we are in a city where you have the opportunity to partake in all three approaches.

But for the purpose of this article, we'll focus on one: economic contribution.

It's no secret that Providence has abundant food options. From Federal Hill to Thayer Street, food is all around us, but have you ever considered narrowing your focus on Black-owned restaurants?

Maybe you've already tried one or two, or was unaware that it was Black-owned at the time, but regardless, your contribution economically supports the owner and uplifts the community that they are based in.

With that being said, here are some Black-owned restaurants in Providence worth checking out.

1. The Glow Cafe and Juice Bar

If you're looking for bomb smoothie bowls, vegan patties, and natural juices, The Glow Cafe and Juice Bar is definitely the way to go! Located on 389 Admiral Street, The Glow Cafe and Juice Bar is owned by Priscilla Edwards, the women's basketball coach at Providence College.

The cafe is about a five-minute walk from the main campus and a seven-minute walk from Eaton Street, more or less.

The Glow Cafe offers both curbside pickup and delivery through their website. Their hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays.

Follow them on Instagram @theglowcafe.

2. Afrique D'Lounge

If you want good drinks, food, and a chill vibe, this place has it all. Located at 145 Dean Street, my friend and I came across this gem one night, while looking for a bar on Federal Hill.

To my surprise, not only were the drinks really good, but the food was delicious! Afrique D' Lounge serves Liberian cuisine. Some of their menu items include jollof rice, fried plantains, and fish.

They are open Tuesday through Saturday from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. and Sunday's from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. They provide dine-in service and delivery through Uber Eats.

Follow them on Instagram @afrique_d_lounge.

3. 148 Pavillion Bar and Lounge

Now I've personally never tried this place, but their menu items include wings, fries, burgers, quesadillas, and $2 tacos on Tuesday! Need I say any more?

They are located on 148 Pavilion Avenue and are open 3 to 9 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday, 3 to 11 p.m. Thursday, and 3 p.m. to 12 a.m. Friday's and Saturday's. They provide dine-in service and deliver through GrubHub.