KSU's Bill Snyder Retires After 27 Seasons

Bill Is Leaving The Bill: The End Of Snyder Football

After 27 seasons of hard work and commitment, Snyder steps down from his head coach position.

250

Over the weekend, Manhattan was hit with the biggest punch. Bill Snyder retired. Snyder is the nationally recognized symbol of the Little Apple. Our humble college community and our football team both have been impacted by Bill Snyder in a plethora of ways. In his 27 seasons at the helm of K-State football, he has led them to a 215-117-1 record. In Big 12 conference play he has amassed 128 wins against only 89 losses. He has won two conference titles.

All these numbers to say: Bill Snyder is a miracle worker.

When he accepted the position as head coach, the program was notorious for being the only team in the nation with 500 losses. Wildcat football was amidst a 27-game losing streak and went to a bowl game once within 77 years. The team had He took a team that was poorly organized and made them a name to compete against. They call the turnaround the Manhattan Miracle. Snyder reshaped the stigmas surrounding wildcat football.

For that, the city of Manhattan is ever grateful.

Now, we lie in wait to see what comes next. Even his players don't know what this means for them exactly. Jahron McPherson, a redshirt sophomore defensive back said, "I already knew but I can't really believe he's leaving. Playing for him was taxing. He complained about everything we did. Everything was so hard, and he never acknowledges what we did. But he made us better. I'll miss being coached by a legend." Bronson Massie, a sophomore defensive end, also commented about Snyder's retirement. "He's old. So, everything was old school. We had a lot of old-time traditions. But we are all ready for something new. Alex Delton already signed his release. I'll find out when you do who all leaves and who stays. But he made this place. So K-State won't be the same without him."

Gene Taylor, the athletic director at K-State, said they have already begun the hunt for Snyder's replacement. Taylor also mentioned that Snyder would be given the position of Special Ambassador. He would continue to assist in the growth of K-State however necessary for the time being.