Big & Little Take Junior Year

Big & Little Take Junior Year

3
Big & Little Take Junior Year

One of the greatest aspects of being a part of Greek life is the relationship you develop with your Big.

My personal rush experience was a little different than a lot of other people's due to the fact that I decided to go through recruitment my sophomore year. My Big ended up being a sophomore as well, because I decided to rush later. I think that having a Big the same age as me turned out great for many different reasons.

It's nice to have someone that you are automatically close to who is going through the same college transitions as you at the same time. You can vent about literally anything, because odds are she's dealing with a similar situation at the same time. College consists of a lot of hard work, homework, heartbreak, and homesickness, but also amazing, unforgettable moments that you would not trade for any other time in your life. I love the fact that I have a "big sister" that is actually just like a twin dealing with these same stepping stones on the road we call college. I look up to my Big, but in a different way, because I respect our friendship so much.

Each year of college, most people mature in increments, so having somebody that is on that same level and can relate to the same thought processes I have regarding different situations is perfect. She knows the ropes on what it's like to be in our chapter and the responsibilities  that come along with all of that, but is also learning new dimensions about being a Gamma Phi sister at the same time as I am.

Next year I also will have the opportunity to live in with my Big, which not everybody has the opportunity to do. Most people live in one year, but since she has a PAVP position, she will be living in again this year, on the same floor as me. Living with a person makes a bond that much stronger, because it's socially acceptable to look like a complete mess or to just walk into their room at 4am and vent about a bad exam grade or a stupid frat boy that ruined your night. My G Big rushed as a sophomore and lived in last year with my Big, and it just makes our family bond that much stronger. 

Not many people have the opportunity to graduate with their Big. Graduating from Michigan State will be one of the biggest moments I will ever experience in life, and I will be able to share that with one of my biggest fans in college. I am so thankful for that. Plus, we get to take all those cute cap and gown pictures together and take the steps into real life at the exact same time. I know having a Big is supposed to be a mentoring type of situation, which in a way it is for me, but I could not be more thankful for being able to experience college and sorority life with a girl I can call one of my best friends, as well.