15 Biblical Reminders About Rest For The Person Who Feels 'Too Busy To Rest'

You should never be too busy to rest in Him.

2010

I am currently a member of Sigma Phi Lambda at Ole Miss, which is a Christian sorority. This past weekend, we had our spring semester chapter retreat. The theme for our devotions for the weekend was "Rest," with our main verse being Matthew 11: 28-30.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Personally, I always feel like I am tired, but I also don't ever make time to simply rest. I was reminded this weekend that no matter what we have going on in our life, we need to make it a priority to rest in the Lord. Once I got home, I dove further into this idea of resting in the Lord, and here are a few verses I pulled that encourage us to rest:

1. Psalm 4:8

"In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety."

2. Exodus 33:14

"The Lord replied, 'My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'"

3. Hebrews 4:9-11

"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience."

4. Psalm 37:7

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him."

5. Psalm 62:1-2

"Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."

6. Isaiah 40:29-31

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

7. Psalm 91:1-2

"Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'"

8. Psalm 34:8

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him."

9. Psalm 116:7

"Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you."

10. Jeremiah 6:16

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.'"

11. Psalm 4:4

"Tremble and do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent."

12. Psalm 130:5

"I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope."

13. Psalm 27:14

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."

14. Philippians 4:6-7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

15. Exodus 14:14

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

Do with this list of Bible verses what you will (and many others about rest that are not listed here), but please know that our God loves you so much and will provide you with rest; you need only to come to Him. Let go of all your worries, your anxieties, your stresses, all of life's problems, and rest in Him.