A Day In The Life Of A Beverage Cart Girl

A summer's worth of experiences with a golf course job.

83

This past summer I started my mornings at the crack of dawn tending to golf members to entertaining bachelor parties late into the afternoon. I was pumped to twist up my summer with a new job rather than staying at the same job for another summer. So, I got some golf attire, put a pretty smile on my face and hit the course with beverages. Let's just say there was never a dull moment when I was working. I came home from my shifts with many stories to tell my family. A lot of the memories I have from working this summer came with its bright moments and not so bright ones.

I'll begin with the most common thing that happened to me on a daily basis. Almost every time I pulled up or pulled away from another person's golf cart, I was catcalled. Sometimes I'd be whistled at to come over to give a guy a beer while other times golfers would mention 'thank you sweetie' or 'thanks hun' or '2 beers babe'. I think you're getting at what I'm throwing down. When older men would throw in nicknames it seemed a bit weird since they could pass as my father or grandfather. The summer consisted of getting called every name in the book.

Another thing that seemed to happen more frequently than I expected was old men telling me I'm not doing my job right. On top of that, men of all ages loved to tell me how to do my job. Yes, I didn't know much about the rules of golf and the courtesies of the whole sport. But to be honest, my job was to get around as quickly as possible. Maybe I should've told them how to dress because some of those golfers wore some ridiculous outfits. Golfers would wear the brightest polos and shorts that were uncoordinated.

I knew men took sports seriously, but I never knew they took recreational golf to this serious of an extent. I mean if my cart was moving or if I was talking, they'd shush me in a hot second. The funny thing was during this whole summer I have maybe witnessed one golfer who was fairly close to being a professional and I'm just being nice. Watching the golfers take 5 practice swings only to end up swinging into the trees baffled me.

All throughout the summer, I experienced all of the weather climates of Iowa. In the beginning, it was the worst weather possible. Day after day it was wet and cold, which meant the course wasn't too busy. Finally, it felt like summer and the golfers started to buy more and tip more. A sunny, beautiful afternoon equaled bigger and better tips.

Besides weather, I think I have experienced almost every kind of bug that could possibly attack me. For instance, gnats, flies, mosquitoes and even fish flies. How lovely would it be to come off the course with 20 bug bites? Not so great. To be honest, I will have to admit to swallowing a few.

After each shift, I came off of the course with severe headaches. You're probably wondering why; well the answer is you hit and run over endless amounts of bumps.

I hold the record for the most times a beverage cart has broken down. I think I have the worst luck because any beverage cart I drove it would die on me. Exactly 7 times this summer; almost 8 but I ran out of gas. I believe it's not my fault because these beverage carts aren't in tip-top shape. It really isn't too shabby of me since I never ran over a ball or got hit by one.

A nice perk of being a beverage cart girl was a cheap, decent tan. Surprisingly, no farmer tan lines.

I definitely got asked many questions as a beverage cart girl from my age to 'Do you play golf?'. But sometimes they were pretty outlandish. For example, groups on the course would request for bottle service. Sorry, we're not Las Vegas but here at Lacoma, it's illegal for us to hand over a bottle of Jeremiah Weed or Tequila. This one is the kicker though, one time a golfer requested for marijuana. I was stunned by the fact this golfer asked if I carried it like c'mon, I can only hold so much in this cart and it's illegal in the state of Illinois. When I told the golfer no, he demanded me to ask my coworkers. I guess he was in need of something at a desperate time.

The best part of it all was witnessing drunk dudes trying to golf competitively. It really is the best and cheapest entertainment.

After the whole experience with a new job, I learned a little about the game so maybe I'll consider picking up the sport.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk. I'm out for the season.