Best Restaurants at the University of Illinois

12 Of The Best UIUC Restaurants That'll Make Your Mouth Water Until Next Fall

August can't come soon enough.

601
Lauryn Smith

The summer after your freshman year means one thing and one thing only: missing school. This is the first extended period of time in almost a year that I've spent away from campus and the first summer that I actually didn't want school to end for. I've been home for over a month now, and it has finally sunk in that I won't be returning to school until mid-August and let me tell ya I'm not happy about it.

So while I sulk in pity, I figured why not reminisce on some of my favorite memories of college. And like any other hungry and growing college student, these adventures mainly involved food. Most weekends my friends and I would take advantage of all of the hottest spots in Champaign and I began to fall in love with so many of these amazing restaurants. Surprisingly, Champaign doesn't just serve husks of corn at their restaurants. There are actually so many different yummy restaurants and dessert places that any food lover indulge in.

1. Bangkok Thai

Bangkok Thai holds a special place in my heart, being the first place I ever ate on at campus. The Pad Thai is outstanding and their gigantic portion is enough to keep you full for days on end. Currently dreaming of a quick walk to Green for a fat dinner from Bangkok right now.

Menu recommendations: Pad Thai...have I said it enough?

2. Big Grove Tavern

Big Grove Tavern

Big Grove Tavern is a trendy, bar style restaurant located in Downtown Champaign. I took my parents here for mom's weekend and they absolutely loved it. Not only is the food great, but the modern decor and trendy atmosphere make it a must.

Menu recommendations: Such a good burger!

3. Maize

Maize

If you need your Mexican fix, look no further! Maize is the balance of traditional Mexican food mixed with the perfect amount of grease and delicious goodness! Another one of my parents' favs.

Menu recommendations: Queso Fundido...and obviously tacos!

4. Kung Fu Tea

This school year I have truly become a poke fanatic...I am OBSESSED. And there is no doubt in my mind that Kung Fu Tea is by far the best poke bowl I've ever had (my mom would agree). Kung Fu Tea is right on Sixth Street (south of Green) and is way too close to campus to the point where I could probably eat it every day if I could. Would drive 2 1/2 hours to Kung Fu Tea right now.

Menu recommendations: I guess I'll just name my go-to order, which it definitely depends on how ~healthy~ I want to be. I typically get a bowl with half white rice and half greens, crab salad and either shrimp tempura or raw tuna (again depending on #health), avocado, cucumber, sometimes crispy onions, cream cheese, topped with the delicious combo of spicy mayo and eel sauce. You're welcome.

5. Nando Milano

Nando Milano

Okay, I have actually not been here yet, but my roommate has so I'm going to let it slide this time. I have heard amazing things about Nando, and that it's one of the best Italian restaurants people have ever been to. However, it can get a little pricey so maybe it's a place to go with your family when they come and visit...and you know that I will definitely be begging mine.

Menu recommendations: I'm going to give my roommate credit here but I know that she loves the burrata and gnocchi and I would definitely trust her on that one.

6. Chopstix

Chopstix

I absolutely had to include this one because I don't think that a college town food article is complete without a good ole' drunk eatery. Conveniently open until 3 a.m. and arguably faster than Jimmy John's (when they say it'll be ready in 45 minutes it really means 5), Chopstix is one of those places that always hits the spot, sober or the complete farthest from it.

Menu recommendations: The Sweet and Sour Chicken and the Lo Mein! Your drunk self will thank me.

7. The Original Pancake House

The Original Pancake House

Ever been sitting in your dorm room and craved an apple pancake? Same. Luckily Champaign is #blessed with a restaurant that is pretty much identical to Walker Brothers. It's definitely a hike away from campus, but if you ever have a car and want to escape for a yummy brunch, the Pancake House is the place to be.

Menu recommendations: From the Dutch Baby to French Toast to the 49ers Flap Jacks, you will never be displeased.

8. Jarling's Custard Cup

Jarling's is one of the only places that was guaranteed to cure my sweet tooth with flying colors (unfortunately the ice cream machine in Bromley didn't cut it). Located just off campus on Kirby Avenue, Jarling's has been making delicious custard since 1949.

Menu recommendations: Literally anything!! I know their cold fudge is a unique thing that is supposedly amazing. I typically like to put peanut butter or caramel on my ice cream, so I am giving you the free reigns on this one.

9. The Bread Company

The Bread Company is the perfect mix of Italian and American goodness and located right on the Urbana side of campus on Goodwin. From salad to sandwiches to pasta to pizza, they have an extremely diverse menu that is perfect to satisfy all your cravings. Not to mention the cozy and calm atmosphere (and all the cool, different chairs they have in there). TBC is one of the only restaurants close to my sorority house next year, and you know that I will be hitting it up often.

Menu: The Gruyere Cheese sandwich and the baked goat cheese are delish.

10. Papa Del's Pizza

Being a Chicago gal born and raised means that I grew up religiously eating all the Deep Dish Pizza a human could ever possibly consume. My parents constantly sent me frozen Lou Malnati's Pizza's to cure all my deep seeded cravings, but it was until eating Papa Del's that I was able to get my Deep Dish fix in. Located just off campus on Neil Street, Papa Del's is a great spot and one of those places that keeps alumni coming back. Look, it'll never be Lou but I guess Papa Del's is a close second.

Menu recommendations: Pizza, duh. And garlic knots.

11. Smallcakes

Smallcakes

Have you ever felt the struggle that you wanted cake and ice cream but couldn't decide which? Well, all of your troubles are gone because Smallcakes was invented and therefore all is well in the world. Plus, they just recently opened a store in Champaign this year. Cake and ice cream smushed together in a mason jar...not sure what more you can ask for. Smallcakes is just southwest of campus, but definitely worth the trip if you ever have that sweet tooth blooming.

Menu recommendations: My suggestion is to take your favorite cookie flavor and your favorite ice cream flavor and combine them!

12. Sakanaya

Last but certainly not least...Sak is the one place that truly has my heart and it makes a lot of sense that it holds as last on this list because of how frequent my friends and I ate there. I practically lived at Sak, spend an average of $20-$25 per sushi trip (rip our bank accounts), and most of us know the entire menu by heart. One of the waiters (s/o Justin) knows us too so that's when you know you have a problem. But in all reality, Sakanaya is one of my favorite sushi places of all time (by far the best one on campus and conveniently located right on Green Street) and has so much diversity and delicious things on their menu.

Menu recommendations: Personal favs are the Cali Crunch (add cream cheese) and playgirl rolls...best shrimp tempura by far!! Other ones I like are the Miga, Spider, White Emperor, and the Yaya (the list seriously goes on). But I know for a fact that everyone must try the infamous "Willis Tower" beautifully pictured above.

There are so many amazing restaurants beside the ones above that are also so good that I just couldn't decide! I am always down to be the resident foodie so if you need further assistance I am happy to help. I am very much looking forward to hitting up all these places in particular, though, and chowing down the second I get back to campus. In the meantime, maybe I can try to enjoy all the good restaurants around me...*maybe.*