Chi Omega: The Best Years Of Our Lives

Chi Omega: The Best Years Of Our Lives

The years fly by, it is so important to make special memories.

13

In light of my final workweek coming to end and my last sorority recruitment approaching, I cannot help but reflect on everything that has influenced me these past three years.

As a senior, the days continue to fly by, forcing me to be more appreciative of the present and value the significance of past. As I reminisce, I am consumed by all of the priceless stories, unforgettable memories, and the experiences that have led me to who and where I am today. Whether we were rummaging through what seemed like forty closets just hours before a Date Dash, every Jersey Tuesday at Pi Kapp (RIP), pictures on the sundeck, fraternity formals, or the commotion of Greek Week- each are all great social aspects of the past few years. However, the friendships I’ve gained it all with is what I will truly remember. When I reflect on the several decisions I have made over the years, one stands out immensely.

Being a part of Chi Omega and the CU Boulder Greek Community has and continues to be best decision I have made throughout my college career.

Without all of these outstanding individuals, both in Chi Omega and the Greek community, I would not have the same college experience that I am thankful for today. Being a member of this small community condenses a large university into a smaller one. It allows individuals to walk into a classroom and know an entire row of people to sit with. It provides you with a friend to walk to class or go grab dinner with. Not only do sororities bestow these positives but they also lend a consistent emotional support system, for any obstacle you may be experiencing. Although each house is completely different, the aspect that blurs out any dividing line between them is being a part of Greek Life in general. Associating myself with the Greek community does not merely force me to feel connected with my own house, but it forces me to connect with others as well.

As a freshman, going through recruitment was one of the most overwhelming experiences I have ever encountered. From sprinting from one sorority to another, talking to numerous girls in a span of thirty minutes, and observing the intimidating walk outs that made my heart beat uncontrollably- lets just say that I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. Recruitment was constantly a nerve wracking yet enjoyable process. However, one perpetual concern that made all my other worries minuscule was my fear of not fitting in.

Today, I can’t help but laugh at all of those terrifying moments and personal worries I had. Whether it was the nauseating feeling I experienced when I got dropped from a house, the stress caused by thinking about which route my best friends would take or the uncertainty I felt at the end of each datebook. A powerful lesson I learned throughout recruitment is that everything happens for a reason.

There is not one best house, there is only a best house for you. If you do not get invited back to a sorority that you loved, try not to get take it personally and instead think of it as one step closer to finding the sorority that is meant for you. Although this is a total cliche, I know there will be 50+ girls from my pledge class alone that will be attending my wedding. I could not imagine my college experience without going through recruitment because the outcome has provided me with constant love, everlasting friendships, and another family that I can call my own.