6 Best Things About Delaware Beaches: A Girl's Perspective

The 6 Best Things About Delaware Beach Life, From A College Girl's Perspective

Living by the beach year round has it's perks, but there's nothing like summertime.

3755
Audrey Scroggs

Freshman year of high school I moved to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. That move has made me appreciate every little aspect of beach life. Sand in my car, driving barefoot, a fresh sunburn, and the thousands of tourists that bring traffic, but also breathe life into my little town.

These are a few of my favorite experiences at the coast in the summertime that comes together to craft a perfect day.

1. Sunrises

Photo by Sebastien Gabriel on Unsplash

There's something about swimming in the ocean as the sun is slowly rising over the horizon. The light reflects off the water and casts a gorgeous glow everywhere. It's so freeing and gives you an immeasurable sense of happiness when you can't touch the bottom. Time and time again, I ask myself why I don't wake up every morning to have this beautiful experience. Though if I did, I'd miss out on those wild summer nights too.

2. Beach Life Culture

I get chills telling friends what life was like on the east coast. Beach culture has the best vibes. Most decorate their houses in a nautical theme. People have wooden carvings of Delaware or a sign that says "Beach this way." Every girl religiously wears a wave ring and reposts ocean pics on VSCO. Their Instagram feeds in the summertime are exclusively pictures of their bronzed bods in bikinis. They work on the beach as umbrella gals and exclusively wear oversized shirts. There's such a relaxed atmosphere because it's undeniably the best time of year.

3. Surf Shops

Beach dwellers are very proud of where they live and a way to show off their beachy style is to shop at the multiple surf shops in each town down the coast. Whether you're wearing East of Maui or Dewey Beach Surf Shop shows your support for the local businesses and artists that designed the dope t-shirts. It also says you're a beach bum in the most fun way possible.

4. Beach Hair

Salty hair, don't care! Here's the recipe for the best beach hair. Long hair wet from the ocean + sun exposure = textured beach waves. It's such an envied look that big-name hair care makers sell sea salt spray in a bottle. Though there's nothing like an authentic look.

5. Beach days with friends

Photo by Marion Michele on Unsplash

Getting to the beach early doesn't happen too often with my friends, but it's the right way to make a whole day of it. I love to get there early to see the paddle boarders, surfers, and skimmers ride the waves. Day drinking Summer Shandy's, Dogfish IPAs and my homemade strawberry basil lemonade is a must-have for any boozy beach trip with friends. After being tipsy, it's time for the lovely midday beach nap. It's so calming to lay down and drift to sleep with the sounds of crashing waves, people talking, and the seagulls. Around 5, we leave to get home for dinner and nurse our inevitable day long sunburns.

6. Romantic Walks Along The Shore At Night

Summertime flings are the best. Everyone is single and confident, ready to meet and talk to anyone. Love is in the air and the heat is to blame for the heightened romance. A perfect date is strolling down the shore at night. It's intimate, but at the same time you can hear and see everything happening on the boardwalk. Kissing by the waves, getting ice cream, and just walking around the side streets with flowing conversation is my idea of a perfect date and the end to an amazing day at the beach.