This $40 Silk Sleep Mask Gives Me The Best Sleep Ever

This $40 Silk Sleep Mask Gives Me The Best Sleep I've Ever Had — I Never Go Anywhere Without It

Crane And Canopy just redefined the meaning of "beauty sleep".

6591

- Since I can remember, I've always been a light sleeper, with the quietest sounds waking me up, and I regularly wake up with the sun.

- While talking to a gynecologist friend of mine, she mentioned the importance of using an eye mask for quality sleep, which regulates hormonal levels.

- I was serendipitously sent the Crane & Canopy Silk Sleep Mask almost right after that conversation and was honestly reluctant to try it after testing other sleep masks that felt uncomfortable and irritated my skin.

- This sleep mask was extremely comfortable, and for the first time in nearly a decade, I slept in far past when I usually do on the weekends and woke up feeling more refreshed than I can remember — I've worn it nearly every night since then.

The older I get, it seems that sleep becomes an increasingly important topic of conversation amongst my friends and me. Yes, of course we complain about how tired we always are, but the pattern seemed to be a lack of sleep on the weekdays followed by late nights and sleeping in on the weekends without any solution.

Sure, I turn on my fan to drown out the sounds of Manhattan traffic, put in some thick curtains to block sunlight, and I'll try to put my phone away before I try to fall asleep. But, nothing was really changing the way I slept lightly, the fact that I was waking up earlier than I probably should, and that I often woke up feeling tired.

Over the years, I, like most people, simply got used to it and accepted it as the norm.

But about seven months ago, I was talking an OB/GYN friend. She was talking to me about the importance of what she called "sleep hygiene" for quality sleep, which is necessary to keep our hormone levels balanced as women. She recommended putting my phone away three hours before going to sleep (not an easy thing for me to do) and wearing an eye mask.

Putting my phone away at nearly 8 p.m. is something I'm still working on, but I've tried eye masks before — they've all been uncomfortable, slip off my face, and end up on the other side of the bed by the time I've woken up.

But, when I was sent Crane & Canopy's Silk Sleep Mask to try out, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out. I had heard of the brand before. Renowned for their luxurious sheets and bedding, I knew it was a high-quality brand that could be trusted.

The sleep mask felt luxurious and comfortable on my skin, but the best part was that I slept soundly, and woke up feeling more refreshed and well-rested than ever before.

@craneandcanopy

How I Use It

I was nervous this would create a dent in my hair like other eye masks I've used in the past have. I can easily put this over my hair post-blowout and it won't change my style at all, likely due to the high-grade mulberry silk the mask is made of. That's also what makes it feel so soft and luxurious on my face.

I also thought the band might be too tight and give me a headache in my sleep, but it's actually incredibly comfortable without slipping. The ruching on the band gives it enough texture so that I can turn from side to side in my sleep without feeling like it is moving or will slip off my head.

On nights I'm feeling extra indulgent, I spray a bit of Ranavat's Jasmine Tonique on the eye mask before putting it on and meditate, pretending I'm getting aromatherapy treatment at a luxe spa. It's easy to feel transported and at ease the moment I put the mask on because it completely shuts off the outside world and the little light we feel coming through our eyelids.

How It Works

There was a night I forgot to put this on, and I honestly woke up in the middle of the night feeling so strange that I reached into the drawer on my nightstand half asleep to put it on.

When I stay at my parent's place, this is a necessity for me. Like most people, I haven't been traveling this year, but I know that once I start, I'll absolutely need to take this with me everywhere I go.

When light comes through our eyelids, our circadian rhythm thinks it's time to be awake. So, when a car drove past my window or the sun started coming up, my body would kind of start to wake up. This mask completely stops any light from coming in.

The first time I woke up with it on, I actually thought it must still be the middle of the night. I wondered why I was feeling so awake, so I trepidatiously lifted the mask to find the sun had actually been up for hours.

Crane & Canopy

Conclusion

Because my problem isn't with falling asleep, I've never experimented with melatonin or other sleep aids. My problem has always been waking up earlier than I want to or feeling like I'm not getting high-quality sleep. If I'm in bed for 8 or even 9 hours, I wasn't feeling well-rested until I started using Crane & Canopy's silk sleep mask.

I'll recommend this to anyone — whether you're sleeping well or not, it could definitely increase your quality of sleep. I also know sleep masks happen to be incredibly helpful for people who have trouble falling asleep, as they signal to the body that it's time to shut off without having to use chemicals or take any supplements.

I was at first a little surprised by the $40 price tag, but I use this every single day and for the amount it's helped my life both when I'm asleep and when I'm not, I would honestly pay far more for it.

Buy Crane & Canopy's Silk Sleep mask for $39 on their website.

Odyssey may earn a portion of purchases made via links on this page.