My Favorite Songs: Teen Angst Edition

My Favorite Songs: Teen Angst Edition

Let's be honest for a second. Who doesn't have a playlist of sad songs they listen to when they're feeling down?

114
My Favorite Songs: Teen Angst Edition

Let's be honest for a second. Who doesn't have a playlist of sad songs they listen to when they're feeling down? Whether you made a list of songs yourself or simply looked up the keywords, "Sad songs," most people know what I'm talking about. I myself have been guilty of doing this for years. While it would make more sense to look up and listen to happy songs, sometimes we just need to wallow in our sadness a little. Listening to somber songs and shedding a few tears always makes me feel somewhat better afterward. Most of these songs are probably viewed as "angsty," but they're the ones I return to every time I feel low.

1. "How to Save a Life" by The Fray

Made famous by "Grey's Anatomy," I listen to it when I miss a friend or a loved one that has since passed on.

2. "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol

Another song that became popular from "Grey's," it always makes me think of beloved characters that died.

3. "Breathe (2 AM)" by Anna Nalick

This song was on "Grey's Anatomy" twice (I'm sensing a trend here). I think of it as a reminder to myself to take a breath when times get tough.

4. "Don't Let Me Get Me" by P!nk

I listen to this one whenever I'm feeling self-pity. I relate to it pretty well, and it's comforting to hear a song about inner (and outer) demons.

5. "She Used to be Mine" by Sara Bareilles

From the musical "Waitress," this song addresses the struggles of a girl who misses her past self. Another song I relate to well. I even posted a cover of it on my YouTube channel.

6. "Collide" by Howie Day

Though I listen to this when I'm sad, it helps cheer me up. The lyric, "Even the best fall down sometimes," reminds me that it's okay to slip up and have flaws.

7. "Fix You" by Coldplay

One of my all-time favorites. This one is also uplifting, and I love playing it on piano.

8. "The Man Who Told Everything" by Doves

I discovered this song while watching "One Tree Hill." I like to listen to it while walking around in the rain, it's kind of therapeutic.

9. "Never Say Never" by The Fray

I bawled my eyes out watching the scene of "One Tree Hill" where this song is featured. Another song on my list by The Fray, this is the perfect song to get your cry on.

10. "Stone Cold" by Demi Lovato

I've cried to this song a lot thinking about lost loves or what could have been. You can hear the emotion in Demi's voice, and the Live Studio version is incredible.

11. "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson

This song has been one of my favorites since I was young. It reminds me of people who have broken my trust but have taught me a lesson by doing so.

12. "Human" by Christina Perri

A beautiful piano piece. Like "Collide," I listen to this song when I need a reminder that it's okay to mess up and that it's okay to be upset and express sad emotions.

13. "Turning Page" by Sleeping at Last

Who remembers this tear-jerking piano piece from the "Twilight" movies? A brilliant song about loving someone. My mom and I played it constantly after seeing the movie.

14. "Try" by Colbie Caillat

An all too relatable song about changing one's appearance to gain society's approval. Colbie reminds me (and many others like me) that we're beautiful just the way we are, but sometimes I forget that and listen to this song as a reminder.

15. "100 Years" by Five for Fighting

Another song I love playing on the piano. It emphasizes the very real fear of inevitable aging. This song, in particular, is very close to my heart because it was released around the same time my grandfather passed away. Though I was only four years old, I used to dream about him and this song. I always think of him when I hear it.

In all honesty, I could continue this list until I'm blue in the face, but these are just some of my personal favorites. I always seek these songs out when I need a good cry.