Best Places to Visit in India

15 Astounding Places in India that are worth the trip

India is full of wonderful places to visit but there are a few which will definitely leave you spell-bounded.

342
India
Radhika Sharma

India is quite popular for its diverse culture and climatic conditions but, that is not all which this amazing place offers. Whenever I tell foreigners about India and its diverse topography, they always look at me awestruck. After all, who would have expected to see snow-clad mountains and a barren desert at the same place?

Yes, India has a lot to offer, not in terms of culture and diversity but also in the kinds of places and adventures that you can experience here. So, I decided to make a list of the top places that will showcase how amazingly beautiful and different India is.

1. Spiti

If you love mountains and clear skies then you will feel right at home in Spiti, which is also known as the Cold Desert Mountain Valley of India. This is the place where you will fall in love with India's landscape and realise that magic truly exists because to create such a magnificent landscape, one certainly must have used a pinch of magic.

The valleys, the numerous monasteries, and the cold climate makes it one of the most popular spots in India. So, if you wish to camp under the stars and observe a 360-degrees view of your surroundings then this is place to visit.

2. Jaisalmer

Radhika Sharma

If you have always wanted to be transported to the magical land of Aladdin, then Jaisalmer should definitely be in your list of places to visit in India. Here, you would come across beautiful forts and palaces and a mesmerising market which would transport you instantly to the Arabian continent.

Also, camping in the desert and watching the sunset through the sand dunes cannot be missed when you are in this enchanting place.

3. Sikkim

Personally, Sikkim is one of my most favourite places in India because once you reach here, you will start feeling really calm and peaceful. Sikkim is a small state in India, which shares border with Bhutan, China, and Nepal. Here, you will encounter snow-clad mountains and a cool and fresh air which will make you feel quite lively. Trust me, Switzerland has nothing on Sikkim and the people are ever-so friendly.

If you really want to witness the charm and love of India then Sikkim should definitely be in your itinerary.

4. Kerala

Rachita Saxena

Another place which shall always stay close to my heart is Kerala because I got to witness the most gorgeous sunsets here and saw a side of me which I never even knew existed. Kerala is the perfect place to relax and enjoy your surroundings while indulging in Yoga, massages, and delicious food. If you love sea food then you have to try the food here which is both amazing and super cheap.

Trust me, once you visit Kerala you will never want to go back to your country.

5. Hampi

Looking for some rich historical and cultural place in India to visit? Then, look no more because Hampi is just the spot for you. This site has been declared as a UNESCO World Heritage site due to the beautiful architectural buildings that have been found here recently. I know you won't believe me when I say that this city has been dug up recently, where you can say the palaces and temples built during the time of Krishnadevaraya, which is why you have to visit the city yourself to see the ongoing work.

If you are a history and archaeology buff then Hampi is the city that you should definitely see when you come to India.

6. Goa

Although Goa is extremely cliched and popular now, it still remains one of the best partying places in India. Here, you can enjoy the beach parties of just spend time with the locals. But, that's not all, you can also go here for hiking and trekking and experience the famous Dudhsagar Falls in all its glory.

7. Gokarna

upload.wikimedia.org

While Gokarna is not as popular as Goa, it is certainly better for people who are looking for some quiet time on the beach and wish to rejuvenate themselves. Gokarna can be said the sister of Goa but while you get a lot of activity and partying in Goa, you get the calm and serenity in Gokarna.

8. Nagaland

upload.wikimedia.org

One of the least explored places in India, Nagaland is not for the faint of hearts. If you truly want to experience the tribal side of India then you have to pay a visit to this gorgeous state. While reaching here won't be easy, the entire struggle will be completely worth it. The view and the culture is going to leave you awestruck and you will be glad that you ditched the other popular cities of India.

9. Jammu and Kashmir

upload.wikimedia.org

If you visit India without heading to the beautiful valleys of Jammu and Kashmir, then you have truly missed out on experiencing a beautiful aspect of India. The beautiful lakes and the valleys of Kashmir is going to steal your heart and make you wish you were born here.

10. Rann of Kutch

​One of the most mesmerising and unique places to visit in India is The Great Rann of Kutch, which is a salt desert going on for miles and miles. Although this plain white desert won't seem too forgiving during the day, it will transform you and leave you speechless come the nightfall. Because I am not exaggerating when I say, here you will witness the most beautiful sunset ever.

11. Andaman & Nicobar Islands

upload.wikimedia.org

If you want to truly experience the beautiful water and beaches of India then you have to head out to Andaman at least once. The clear blue water is perfect for water enthusiasts and is a great location to do some Snorkeling or Scuba Diving.

12. Kanyakumari

upload.wikimedia.org

The southern most tip of India from which you will see the unending Indian Ocean is Kanyakumari. From here, you will see both sunrise and sunset and trust me, both will be equally magical making it difficult for you to choose a favourite. Also, this is the land of Tamil temples so you will learn more about the history and culture of Tamil which is quite fascinating and colourful.

13. Varanasi

c1.staticflickr.com

​Ask anyone who has been to Varanasi and they will tell you how truly magical this place is. This city is for the stressed and the broken-spirited because here, you can find yourself again and reinvent yourself. The morning and the evening prayers will leave you more peaceful and the colours bustling here is going to make your heart filled with joy.

14. Meghalaya

Meghalaya holds the wettest part of India which is why this place is always green and bustling with life. This side of North East India is completely different from the remaining India which is why it feels so good to visit this place. You will feel the cool, fresh air here while making your way through the daunting mountains. One of the most interesting places to visit in Meghalaya is the Double Decker Root Living Bridge which is going to make you feel like you are on the set of Jungle Book or Tarzan.

15. Kasol

Radhika Sharma

Last, but not the least, Kasol is often known as the paradise for weed smokers but let that description not fool you. This place is so much more than just getting high. Here, you can camp within the most gorgeous valleys and trek to the top of the most amazing mountains to observe a view that is equally breathtaking and terrifying.

I can guarantee you that if you visit any of these above-mentioned places, you are going to leave with a heavy heart and amazing memories and will be glad to have visited. Because, India is incredible but you have to visit the right places to truly experience it.