How To Plan A Road Trip Through California

5 Ways To Survive And Thrive On A Road Trip With Your Best Friend

Here's how we survived our first vacation without our parents.

227
Lauren Hernandez

This July, my best friend and I went to San Luis Obispo, California for a mini vacation and my birthday! We drove five hours to get there, but it was ALL worth it in the long run.

Here's how we survived our first vacation without our parents:

Beach All Day, Every Day!

Avila Beach, San Luis Obispo, California

Lauren Hernandez

We went to the beach all day every day!

We stayed around 4 hours each day at Avila Beach, tanning and swimming in the ocean! We also went shopping at the surf shops, where we found cute anklets and stickers!

The best food we had at Avila Beach was a giant açaí bowl and some snow cones during the SLO heatwave!

We even went to the beach for a sunset photo shoot and once late at night to look at the stars!

Donuts Every Day!

SloDoCo donuts

KSBY News

My favorite dessert spot in San Luis Obispo is SloDoCo. The San Luis Obispo Donut Company has every donut you can ever dream of!

The Slo Donut Company serves donuts 24/7 and host events every month such as live music. The shop sells vegan donuts, rainbow donuts, and lavender, mint, and crème brûlée flavored donuts!

During my time there, we went to SloDoCo every day and even made a couple friends. I would definitely recommend to anyone going to Slo to make a pit stop at this local donut shop!

Stock Up On Sun Bum!

Sun Bum sunscreen

Sun Bum

We spent an average of four hours a day tanning and an even a longer period of time on the beach!

To protect our skin and smell like their signature banana fragrance, we used Sun Bum products every day. We used their sunscreen, after-sun aloe, leave-in conditioner, hand sanitizer, and lip balm.

What can we say, it's our favorite!

We Spent All Our Money At Surf Shops!

Lauren Hernandez

On my birthday, we spent the whole day shopping and exploring Downtown San Luis Obispo!

We went to multiple surf shops, boutiques, and even the gum wall! One of the best things we had was ice cream at Doc Burnstein's Ice Cream Lab!

After a full day of shopping, we realized we spent most of our money at a local surf shop, where bought Sex Wax air fresheners, candles, and lots and lots of stickers!

We Ate Good Every Day!

Açaí on the beach

Lauren Hernandez

Eating açaí on the beach was definitely one of the highlights of this trip! It was very satisfying and made an awesome Instagram story!

We also went to many dessert shops where we got frozen yogurt, ice cream, and donuts! We weren't the healthiest on this trip especially getting Starbucks every day!

We were also able to try many local San Luis Obispo restaurants famous to their town such as High Street Deli!