9 Vanished Retailers That Are Gone But Not Forgotten

Remembering the places we loved to shop.

96

The internet has taken over. Now a days, consumers are stepping from their comfort zones to shop. They are heading online for good deals or even to have something shipped to a store. This has created more competition for retailers and have even caused some to cease operations. Earlier this week, it was announced that Sears can be the next one to vanish. While it's future still remains a mystery, as it can be the next on this list, here are 9 vanished retailers that many will recall shopping at.

1. Toys "R" US

After falling into bankruptcy last year, the beloved toy store tried finding a new buyer. The retailer couldn't find one, leaving all of it's U.S. stores to close down. While it might have vanished in North America, it still remains open in Canada, where parents can continue to shop with their children.

2. Babies "R" Us

It was the place pregnant mothers use to head to for the crib, stroller, and all the baby needs. Just like Toys "R" Us, Babies "R" US fell in the same situation. Babies "R" Us can also be seen in Canada as well.

3. Kid "R" US

There was Toys "R" Us, Babies "R" Us, and then there was Kids "R" Us. A clothing store part of the company that focused mainly on children's clothing. Kids "R" Us was the first of the three to close its doors. It's been 15 years since they were last seen.

4. Zany Brainy

If you were looking for educational toys for your child or even teenager, Zany Brainy was the place to go. In 2001, it, unfortunately, went into bankruptcy. Eventually, it ceased operations, however, within two years, it's founder and ceo, founded a new discounted place to buy educational toys and other merchandise. That was Five Below. While Zany Brainy remains a thing of the past, it's customers continue to shop at its successor.

5. Borders

At one point, Barnes and Noble wasn't the only book store to purchase a good read. Known as it's rival, Borders was another place book lovers could purchase a book or check out music. According to businesstimes.com, the book chain was unable to compete with the internet, ebooks, and even had too many stores.

6.Circuit City

The electronic consumer was once an option when physically purchasing a TV, camera, iPod, and other electronic devices. This year will mark a decade since it shut down all its stores. While it might not have any retail locations, it's website still remains up and running.

7. Blockbuster

Movies, movies, movies. And then there was video games and candy. Blockbuster was the go-to store for movie rentals. It's cheap prices and high selection of titles attracted almost everyone. Like many non-surviving stores, the video distributor entered bankruptcy in 2010. It's surviving locations were bought by Dish. That didn't change much as more stores closed down. Today, only one remains standing.

8. MovieStop

Day in and out, video game lovers enter and exit GameStop. Little do they might know, there was a MovieStop. Just like Gamestop, MovieStop allowed consumers to purchase new and used merchandise.

9. Linens N Things

It had bedding, bath, and so much more. Sadly, Linens N Things did not end up surviving. While its website remained up and running, unfortunately, it doesn't remain active anymore.