Best documentaries

12 Documentaries To Watch When You're Trying To Avoid Your Family Over The Holidays

Just because school's out, doesn't mean you have to stop learning.

39
https://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=70136120&jbp=3&jbr=3

It's Christmas break, which means you need things to do in order to avoid awkward family conversations and answering the question, "what are you doing with your life?" Don't worry, I got you. Documentaries are some of my favorite things to watch when I'm bored or have nothing to do. I love learning about new things and gaining a different opinion- it helps me feel inspired and meaningful.

Here are the 12 best documentaries to watch when you're stuck inside over winter break.

"The Staircase" (2017)

This documentary is one of the most frustrating true crime accounts I have ever watched.

A man is accused of killing his wife by pushing her down the stairs in their home in Durham, North Carolina. It takes place over 15 years and has you wondering if this man who invited these cameras into his home, is capable of murder.

(P.S. He totally did it)

"Tyke Elephant Outlaw" (2015)

A heartbreaking insight into circus life and animal cruelty. Like 'Blackfish", this documentary explores the life, and death, of elephants and their performers.

"The Bridge" (2006)

This is known as one of the most disturbing documentaries ever made, and it lives up to the hype. The subject matter is so haunting and difficult to watch, but important nonetheless.

Be considerate when watching this doc, and be sure to be in the right mindset.

"Bowling for Columbine" (2002)

This was actually the first documentary I ever remember watching. For some reason, my middle school decided to show us this film in a darkened cafeteria during P.E. and it kinda scarred me for life.

Still, the storyline is beautifully presented and the content is still prevalent today.

"Blackfish" (2013)

Okay, I had to include this on the list. This is the film that really made me start to become interested in documentaries and animal cruelty. Y'all probably know what this one's about, but it's still one of the most influential documentaries I've seen.

"The Keepers" (2017)

'The Keepers' is a Netflix original episodic documentary that goes deep into the murder of Sister Cathy Cesnick and life at Baltimore's Archbishop Keough High School.

It is so well done and emotionally gripping. I honestly thought about for days after I finished the series.

"Jane" (2017)

Nothin' like a good Jane Goodall to make you feel good. She has such a kind heart, which kind of makes you want to hope that there are more people like her in the world.

"Waltz With Bashir" (2008)

Yes, this documentary is an animated film, but it is seriously one of the most dynamic and heart-wrenching stories. It brings attention to the effects of war and how far it can really impact.

"The Witness" (2015)

An in-depth look at Kitty Genovese's murder and the long believed notion of the bystander affect.

If you like true-crime documentaries, this one is a slow build of a classic story that challenges the truth behind what really happened that night.

"Audrie And Daisy" (2016)

Another Netflix original that tackles the personal stories of three girls and sexual assault crimes. Although it's a few years old, the message still resonates today.

It's painful and heart-wrenching, but important nonetheless.

"Justin Beiber Never Say Never" (2011)

I know, I know, but hear me out.

When I was in the 9th grade me and my friend decided to watch the J-Beibs documentary out of spite. We really didn't like him or his swoopy hair but we were bored teenage girls, so don't judge.

By the end of the film, we were both high-key invested (and I may have even teared up but we don't need to talk about it).

It's produced really well and if you want some throwback Beibs, he won't disappoint.

"Amy" (2015)

'Amy' is one of the BEST documentaries I have ever watched. It shows an in-depth look at Amy Winehouse and her story by using her own interviews, songs, and stories. It is personal and emotional and gives you a totally different perspective on who Amy really was.

Seriously, watch this documentary. You won't regret it.

Maybe I'm just a nerd but I always love learning new things and getting new opinions on things in life. Being educated and having an opinion is an important thing to have in this life. You don't have to even leave your bed to get a broader understanding of the world.

Let me know your favorite documentaries to add to my watch-list. It's not like I have a life anyway.