The Best Cancer Fighting Veggies (Eat This, Not That!)

Vegetables are great for all diets, but all veggies are not equal. Here are the best ones to eat. (Kale, yeah!)

34676

The best cancer-fighting veggies: Not all vegetables are created equal. Some veggies are much better than others at lowering your risk of diseases associated with aging; like cancer.

Researchers say that antioxidant compounds in dark green vegetables like spinach and "fragrant" vegetables like onions and garlic have been shown to inhibit the growth of tumor cells.

However, the bad news is that these vegetables aren't exactly popular menu items, and make up only about 1 percent of fruit and vegetable consumption in the U.S.

So, what are people eating instead?

Unfortunately, veggies with almost no cancer-preventive power, like potatoes, make up 60 percent of the vegetables in people's diets. Also, when potatoes are in "french fry" or "chip" form, (as they often are) they have even less, or no value.

Vegetables are all "good," but here's which veggies to eat more and less of:

Eat MORE of These Veggies

While all vegetables can help you lose unwanted weight, look to choose the best veggies to combat cancer like:

• Brussel sprouts
• Kale (kale, yeah!)
• Cabbage
• Garlic (Fresh)
• Spinach

Eat LESS of these Veggies:

• Potatoes
• Carrots
• Tomatoes
• Lettuce
• Cucumbers

All Veggies are GOOD, But Some Are GREAT

Recently going low-carb or "keto" has been all the rage, but consider that vegetables are good carbs that you should never omit from any healthy and sustainable diet. Even the top commercial diets have realized this, and now programs like WW have made them the centerpiece of their menus.

Now, I'm not saying any vegetables are "bad," but some will give you more bang for your buck. (There are worse health problems than eating too many cucumbers!)

Also, you know how the "high-protein, low-carb " keto diet is all the rage? Well, vegetables are "good" carbs, so any diet that cuts them out is unhealthy. Not only are these carbs good for your body, but recent studies indicate that they're good for your brain, too.

Try to include the ones listed above into your diet, and you'll be eating healthy while fighting off cancer!