10 Reasons Matcha Is Good For You

10 Reasons You Should Be Drinking Matcha Right Now

This magical Japanese powdered tea is full of amazing health benefits.

77
matcha, drink, hand
@weeatfish Instagram

Matcha green tea is a long-standing aspect of Japanese culture and is the highest quality powdered tea on the market. Matcha is made from the nutrient-rich leaves from shade-grown Camellia sinensis plants. The matcha is steamed, stemmed, and taken off the vine before being ground into a very fine powder. In order to preserve the astonishing green color and antioxidant properties, the matcha powder is stored away from light and oxygen. Matcha has been consumed for over a millennium and has now morphed into one of the most powerful superfoods on the market.

1. High in antioxidants

Antioxidants are the nutrients and enzymes responsible for fighting off UV radiation, thus enhancing the appearance of younger looking skin.

2. Enhances peace and serenity

Matcha contains the amino acid L-theanine which promotes the production of alpha waves in the brain. These waves induce relaxation without causing drowsiness. Chinese Daoists and Buddhist Monks consume matcha, as it helps them meditate and relax while staying alert.

3. Supports memory and concentration

The amino acid L-theanine also works to boost memory and concentration. L-theanine is actually found in the leaves used to make matcha.

4. Boosts energy levels and endurance

Samurai warriors used to consume bowls of matcha before battle because of the tea's energizing effects. Generally, all natural forms of green tea contain some level of caffeine. The higher caffeine content of matcha is due to its rich nutrient composition, including L-theanine.

5. Helps with weight loss

Matcha is heavy with catechins, an antioxidant that has been scientifically proven to have a positive impact on body mass.

6. Natural detoxifier

Three weeks before the leaves are harvested into matcha powder, the Camellia sinensis are covered, thus depriving the leaves of sunlight which increases chlorophyll production within the leaves. The high levels of chlorophyll give matcha its magical green color, while also making the tea a natural detoxifier by removing heavy metals and toxins from the body.

7. Supports the immune system

The catechins found in matcha have shown certain antibiotic properties. Matcha is also rich in potassium, vitamins A & C, iron, protein, and calcium.A

8. Improves cholesterol

Although researchers cannot pinpoint the precise reason why, research has shown that matcha drinkers typically have lower levels of LDL ("bad" cholesterol) and higher levels of HDL ("good" cholesterol).

9. Gives you caffeine without the crash

Even though matcha does have a relatively high caffeine content, the tea does not have the side-effects ( i.e. nervousness, hypertension, etc.) of other stimulants.

10. Great flavor

Matcha has an overall unique flavor that does not need any added milk or sugars that some other teas may need. You can also drink matcha hot or iced.