4 Reasons You Should Add More Cinnamon To Your Diet

Eating a cinnamon stick should be a ritual.

756

We've all seen it, smelled it, some of us may have even eaten spoonfuls of it for an online challenge.

Cinnamon is a spice that is used in anything from cinnamon rolls, to your oatmeal. It is one of the ultimate superfoods that gets overlooked. It is one that can be used to help aid in weight-loss because it can increase glucose-metabolism, which would help maintain blood sugar levels in your body.

1. Cinnamon is ranked seventh when it comes to antioxidant density in the category of herbs, spices across the world.

It is high in calcium, fiber, iron, and manganese. Cinnamon enhances your antioxidant defenses. Consuming at least 1/2 a tablespoon can do a good job at improving digestion, blood-sugar levels, and your immune system. A stronger dose (anything from a tablespoon or more a day) can have extremely positive effects towards cutting the risks of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and other diseases.

2. Anti-inflammatory properties

Cinnamon can lower inflammation and swelling in the body. This leads to benefits if you are suffering from muscle soreness, PMS, or any age-related inflammatory problems.

3. Protects brain function

Because of antioxidant properties, cinnamon can actually reduce the effects of aging on the body and the brain. It can help the brain fight developing neurological disorders like Parkinsons and Alzheimer's disease. It actually activates neuro-protective proteins that help brain cells from damage or any other negative effects.

4. Ways to add more cinnamon to your diet

You can add cinnamon to a multitude of things: oatmeal, coffee, tea, hot cocoa, milk, yogurt, or even sprinkle it on top of your bananas. Cinnamon can be made with various other foods, but those are the fairly simple day to day changes you can make.