Belarusian presidential election 2020

Belarusian presidential election 2020

International news

22
Belarusian presidential election 2020
https://www.voanews.com/press-freedom/lukashenkos-biggest-election-opponent-internet

If you are unaware, which I was before doing research over it the Belarusian Presidential election took place in August of this year with the previous president winning again. Resulting in growing unrest among the citizens who believe President Alexander Lukashenko should quit. To clear everything up let me first inform you where Belarus is located. It has Russia - its former imperial master - to the east and Ukraine to the south. To the north and west lie EU and Nato members Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland. President Lukashenko has been in power for 26 years and is an ally to Russia. President Lukashenko has been called the "Last dictator of Europe" which is understandable with his methods of keeping much of the economy in state hands and using censorship and police crackdowns against opponents.

Protests have risen and huge opposition movements have emerged for demanding new, democratic leadership and economic reforms. This week, Belarus police detained 317 people and deployed water cannon during mass protests against Mr. Lukashenko, whose re-election was widely seen as fraudulent. Many opposition activists have been beaten up by police and thousands have been arrested during months of unrest. They are demanding the release of all political prisoners and a free and fair re-run of the election. Mr. Lukashenko remains defiant, accusing the opposition of being Western "puppets" intent on overthrowing his government. He is backed by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

What will happen next all depends on how the government deals with all the protests. The people seem like they will not rest until justice is served and President Lukashenko is fired. Though I don't know all the facts and past issues with the president it is still an issue that needs to be addressed.