Being the third child is certainly not easy. Looking cute all the time and being overly spoiled is exhausting! It’s hard not to be ruthless when you have the ability to annoy absolutely anyone you please, especially our older siblings and their friends. But I guess one thing is for sure; in the confusing world of the last child…third time’s the charm.
1. What you wear: Those neon, off the shoulder shirts may have been cool back in their day, but I will not be caught dead with that on! Hand me my overalls, we are doing this '90s style.
2. No one ever takes you seriously: Ever have those moments when you are sitting at the dinner table with your family, having an intelligent conversation, and you decide to speak up, but they all look at you like you have three heads? Yeah, me too.
3. Never getting to sit shotgun: No, you cannot just call shotgun, whoever is oldest in the car will always be up front no matter the case. Back seats are our best friends.
4. “You’ll understand when you’re older:" The most demeaning quote when you just don’t understand what is going on. I would like to understand now, but I guess we are going to do this the hard way.
5. Never getting first pick: No matter if the question is “what do we want for dinner?” or “what movie should we go out to see tonight?” you never got your choice. Probably because your choice was always macaroni or chicken nuggets, but still—we want our voice too!
6. Blame it all on me: This was the worst when you were really young. When mom would ask who knocked over the lamp, the two others pointed to you, even though you were in your room at 8:45 that night, exactly when that crime was committed. It’s a life full of false accusations and being guilty before proven guilty.
7. “Can you do me a favor?" The famous lines of an older sibling who is too lazy to do something themselves. We’ve all heard it, we’ve all fallen for it.
8. Their friends are not your friends: You know, when you really want to hang out with your older sibling but they have friends over and you know they will kick you out immediately because “it’s big kid stuff.”
9. Living in your older sibling's shadow: “You’ll never be like your brother/sister.” You have this predetermined expectation for you because of your older siblings, and when you don’t add up to those, it’s a disappointment
10. We inherited the “obnoxious” gene: We are the loudest, most attention-seeking, always have to be right kind of person you will ever meet. We can’t help it, it’s what we were born to do; don’t judge us for doing what we’re good at.
11. We eventually have to become the only child: At some point in your life, you find yourself sitting alone in the house that you used to play in with your brothers and sisters, and realize that it will never be that way again. Now that everyone has moved on, it becomes hard to face the fact that for the next few years, you’re stuck alone, without the company of the people that influenced your life the most. No longer will you be playing in the tree house or running down the halls with them. But you know that they will always have your back and be there for every step of your life, even though they aren’t exactly present. Siblings are the greatest blessing you may ever have, and without them, you wouldn’t be who you are today. Moving on may suck, but it’s what eventually brings us together.