Is Being Too Nice A Thing?

Is Being Too Nice A Thing?

Is being too nice a weakness or a strength?

24
Is Being Too Nice A Thing?

“Too Nice.” That’s the phrase that’s often used to describe me. I used to embrace it as a child because I mean, who wouldn’t want to be described as nice? The kindhearted person who drops everything to help her friends, who leaves encouraging notes on her friends' lockers when they’re going through rough times, and who surprises her friends with small snacks just because she wants to show them her appreciation for them. Giving is something I have always loved to do. It brings me joy to see my friends' faces light up when they’re having a rough day because of something I’ve done to show them my love and support.

When I came to college, I knew that it would be very different from my small 300-person high school and I was ready to embrace the changes and opportunities. Orientation went by fast and I was immediately thrown into a crowd of freshmen students who like me, were trying to find their fit and friends. I met a lot of diverse people. I loved college. The excitement was all too real. I started hanging out with this group of girls from my floor. It was all fun but I felt like something was missing. I felt like I couldn’t be myself around them. They would constantly say things like, “Kyra, you’re too nice,” “Oh my gosh, she could never do that, she’s too nice,” “I don’t know if I should say this in front of you, you’re too nice.” That started affecting me a lot because I have grown up being the nice one. Something that I used to take pride in being called had now turned into something I hated. I started feeling ashamed of myself because I am so much more than just “nice.”

This got me thinking…why is it in society today that being labeled “nice” isn’t something you can be proud of? In the society of today, why is nice considered lame and associated with weakness? Rather than being nice, society has us thinking that being feared is something we should be. It took me a while to accept that being nice is part of who I am. I believe that kindness is strong rather than weak, bold rather than timid. There are many times when people have wronged you and you can seek revenge or treat them as you’ve been treated, but it takes courage and strength to be genuinely kind towards them and feel good about it. I shouldn’t let people take that away from me. There is absolutely no such thing as being too nice. We need more kind people in this world to spread the love in a world where people take kindness for weakness. I am proud of who I am and have learned to love myself and the qualities I hold true and dear.

So if you’re someone like me, embrace it. You can’t see it, but people around you can see the light you shine through your smile and actions. You are nice. Be proud of it and be proud of who you are.