5 Truths Of Being a Tucsonian

5 Truths Of Being a Tucsonian

I get a lot of questions, especially around the University of Arizona, about where I am from. Here I will get to tell you the perks of what being a Tucsonian is like.

259
5 Truths Of Being a Tucsonian
Personal Image

I was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona. I've probably had to tell that to at least one hundred people within the last year or so. It's hard to break down the best things about Tucson but I am positive that my list will explain the reasons of why I actually do LOVE the tight-knit community that Tucson creates for everyone - whether it be if you live here, go to school in Tucson, or are either a passer-by.

1. Community 

As I said above Tucson is a very close community, and in that sense, I mean that everybody knows everybody. I know that can be a con to some people but this is one of the reasons I love where I live. I have met so many different people throughout my life, and if it weren't for that one person we both had a connection with I would have never created a new friendship or bond. I love meeting new people and I am a social butterfly; if I have the chance to meet someone new I am 100% about it!

2. Sunsets

You can never beat a Tucson sunset. Period. Yes, a sunset overlooking the beach is an amazing view, BUT the cotton candy colored skies overlooking the purple Rincon mountains will always be my favorite. I always feel like the best time to view a sunset is when the cumulonimbus clouds are full of rain, the sun is shining through them making the sky light up of purples, pinks, and blues. After you read this post I dare you to go outside and look at the sunset overlooking Tucson. Your heart will fill with happiness and you'll be seen with a smile on your face.

3. Music scene

FABULOUS events (in moderation) of course. When I say fabulous I don't mean fancy restaurants with snazzy clothing. I mean street fairs, Tucson Meet Yourself, sick-ass EDM concerts, and many more things. Bi-annually on Fourth Avenue, they have an amazing street fair where vendors from across the United States come to sell their items. Tucson Meet Yourself is a bunch of restaurants and food trucks that go to a festival to promote their culture and uniqueness that they bring to the community. And of course who could ever pass down ANY music concert, especially EDM. For not everyone who likes electronic music, there are many more genres and artists that come to Tucson regularly, especially at the Rialto.

4. Amazing people

The University of Arizona and my college bar job are another two big reasons I love Tucson. This is because so many people from around the world come to visit and go to school here. If you refer back to my number 1 reason, I love meeting new people. This university gives me the chance to meet so many new faces and have friends that I will stay in touch with even when they move back to their hometown or graduate and travel to fulfill their lifelong dreams. My job at Illegal Pete's is another reason for meeting new people. In addition to my amazing co-workers, I have known so many regulars who come in and now we are so close I could basically call them my friends. Having the chance to create a bond with someone is an amazing feeling and both of these reasons why I love being a Tucsonian is because talking to new people gets me out of my comfort zone.

5. Hiking

Hiking is the best to do in Tucson. We, as a city, have so many different trails to complete that it will keep you busy. I don't recommend hiking in the summertime heat but once the other seasons hit, it's your chance to be one with nature. My top two favorite hikes that I have done multiple times in my life have to be Pima Canyon Trailhead and the Butterfly Trail on Mt. Lemmon. Pima Canyon trail is beautiful and has so much wildlife that you wouldn't see in the downtown area; it follows by a creek and makes for a relaxing day. Butterfly trail is one of the places that you'll be able to see the seasons change or any hike on Mt. Lemmon for that matter. But I specifically love this one because the view off the side of the mountain you are hiking on is breathtaking.

Every day I am glad that I was born as a Tucsonian, and that I still call it my home. Some may say its boring, but those are the people who don't go out and find the fun within the city. Do some research and you'll find MANY more reasons to love Tucson just like I do.