Being Different In High School Is Okay

Being Different In High School Is Okay

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

754
Being Different In High School Is Okay
Roxy Saravia

When I think of high school, a big piece of me cringes. The first two years weren't too bad but the last two years I just wanted to get out of there. The same routine became exhausting but what was even more exhausting was trying to fit in with the crowd.

Don't let your fears get in the way.

When I was in high school I stopped making videos because I was so concerned about what everyone else thought. By doing this, I prohibited myself from just being the real me. I am a creative person so I would join musicals and take voice lessons but I always felt like a piece of me was missing. I remember getting a pair of new shoes and wanting to wear them to school but I was too afraid. They were so different from what everyone else wore. "What was I afraid of?" you're probably wondering. I was afraid of the people in my school whispering or tweeting or just being nasty. Teens can be cruel and that is the honest truth.

Being different is never a bad thing.

There is one person that comes to my mind when I think of the word “different” and that is the Green Lady of Brooklyn. She is the woman known for wearing the color green from head to toe. She has been interviewed by The New York Times and isn't afraid to stand out. I admire people like her because they embrace their uniqueness. If there was one thing I could tell myself in high school it would be to not be afraid to be myself. I remember being in high school and if there was a trend going around everyone had to get it in order to gain acceptance from their peers. If you didn't fit in, you were the outcast and I wish I knew that it's totally okay to be the outcast.

Quality over quantity.

You want to find friends who value your friendship and who look past the way you look on the outside. Luckily, I found two great friends in high school who loved me for me. Those are the kind of people you want to surround yourself and whether than be one or five people, it's all about quality over quantity. I am still friends with those two and we still talk on a daily basis.

It gets better.

I can honestly say that college has been one of the best experiences of my life. I think I know myself better than I ever have and I'm not afraid to be me. Looking back at high school and now, I feel like my life has changed for the better. I remember everyday I went to high school, I would tell myself, "It's going to end soon. This won't last forever." That was the best advice I could ever tell myself because it does end and it's only uphill from there. I've discovered that I love putting on a nice outfit every morning (I wore sweats to high school every day). I also discovered that I love making videos and writing, I love finding unique clothes, I love thrifting, I love styling pieces together, I love making new friends and most importantly... I love myself. Something I probably couldn't say in high school.

A moment I realized that things changed for the better was when I bought bright red shoes this year and couldn't wait to wear them to school. The old me cared too much about what everyone else thought. Although, this was such a small moment it meant so much to me because this moment made me realize that I don't care. I now value myself and I'm not afraid to stand out. As Maya Angelou once said, "If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." This is by far my favorite quote of all time.