Behind the Music, Scarier than Fiction

Behind the Music, Scarier than Fiction

A discussion about mental disorders in Hip-Hop.

2
Behind the Music, Scarier than Fiction
8tracks

Take a moment and imagine your favorite rapper if you are into rap or hip-hop. If you're not into neither one of those genres just look up one. For many years, we have always seen rappers or hip-hop artists as the epitome of a defined masculinity. Macho, (mostly) misogynistic, mischievous, materialistic, mean, yet all around model of manliness is how most people would view rappers or hip-hop artists without a second glance. For females, they stand as independent and opinionated only to get criticized for "trying to be like the guys" and being called a demeaning term for having this steel resolve. This has been quite the norm for a long time in this world. But what if I told you that rapper that you know of or look up to is suffering from PTSD and Depression to the point where they want to commit suicide? Then, what if that same rapper confesses these issues aloud to the press and checks himself/herself into a facility for it?

Are they less of a man? Are they considered feminine? Are they still your role model? Is it a publicity stunt? Are they doing bad? Are they going broke? Are they not grateful for their "blessed" life? If you have asked yourself these questions and come up with such negative and small-minded answers, then we have a problem. Hip-Hop will surely die.

Take one individual who stands alone or in a group of people. They are going from sunup to sundown through interviews, recording sessions, promotional events, commercial shots, Photo shoots, concerts, tours, club events, meetings and stylist appointments all with a "forced" smile on their face because the fans and paparazzi are ALWAYS watching. Always. The last thing that the artist or those artists need is a shrunken fan base and a smeared name on the news. Behind that smile lies a person stretched out to their limits, doing work that was not agreed on except by the company, and having little to no sleep to recover. This person has demons as his/her/their companions in their minds and this type of company is not good company.

These artists are like us. Some of these artists are possibly more human than us. They have issues. Some of them feel cursed to live this life, but have no way out. How do they cope? Through music.

Music is a storyteller as many of people know or should know. Hip-Hop has been a prime example of the storytelling that music does. Take the West Coast Rap of the 1990s. Several prominent rappers, producers, and groups are found in this era as storytellers and protesters for their injustices done to the black community. Fast forward to 2016 with Kid Cudi.

Pictured: Kid Cudi Facebook Status. (c) 2016

Earlier last week, the well-known "Day 'n' Nite" rapper under Kanye West's label, bravely confessed to living with, anxiety disorder, Chronic depression, and suicidal thoughts. Confessing how he is facing a "violent storm inside of [his] heart at all times" he has checked himself in rehab for the sake of his friends, family, fans, and especially for himself. It was a brave step that was warmly received and finally began to open the taboo doors of mental health issues in not only hip-hop but in African-Americans. As a people, African-Americans, especially the males, are conditioned to be a strong and resilient race. However, there are many of African-Americans who have the burden of mental disorders on their shoulders and are at the crossroads, without a way to go,of their lives as a result. Other rappers have joined in solidarity for Kid Cudi's confession. A united voice that says, "We are not okay. We need help." This confession is not a surprise that Kid Cudi,who has always been a unique rapper, has used his music to express how much he has suffered over the years. His 2008 mixtape, A Kid Name Cudi, even contained a song (Down and Out) that had him expressing how he would want to drown himself in harmful drug substances to cope with his dark emotions.

This not only should be a cry for help but a wake-up call to us listeners who are "dabbing" to the beat of their sorrows. As we "milly rock" to the jam, the lyrics are screaming, "Our souls are damned." More artists need to know that there are fans and people who will accept their confession with open are. As fans, we must remember that these artists are people who fight demons every day without a chance to take a break. Encourage your artists to seek help and be patient with them

Next time, before you "dab" to the beat, listen to the lyrics. If that artist wants to drown his pain out through drugs, express violent thoughts that will kill self or others, or profanely blurts out the frustration of not being able to just scream their sorrows out, it would be wise to actually say, "He/she is not well. I hope they find peace. This song really has a message. The message is "Our lives matter too."