'Bee Movie': An Investigation

'Bee Movie': An Investigation

The truth about honey bees.

368
'Bee Movie': An Investigation
DreamWorks Animation

I love watching the movies I watched as a child, like many of us do. However, with my expanded knowledge, I tend to ruin things for myself. Case in point: "Bee Movie" starring Jerry Seinfeld and Renée Zellweger.

"Bee Movie" is a film about a honey bee named Barry B. Benson who flies outside the hive and discovers that honey is being used for human consumption. Thus, he decides to sue the human race for bees' rights to honey. When he wins the case, he discovers that the environment needs bees pollinating flowers and producing honey to survive and that he was wrong.

(Oh, and there's some awkward sexual tension between him and a human woman named Vanessa, which I reeeaaaallly don't want to get into; that's another article entirely.)

Let's begin with the jobs of honey bees, shall we?

Female honey bees are the workers, except for the queen, whose job is to mate. All of the male honey bees are drones, meaning their job is to mate with the queen. So, if male honey bees are all drones and their only purpose is to fertilize the queen's eggs, and female honey bees are the workers... then why are all the workers in "Bee Movie" males?

Since female honey bees are the workers, they are the only sex of honey bees that have stingers. If males don't have stingers, WHY DOES ADAM STING SOMEONE? WHY DOES GORDON SUMNER CALL HIMSELF STING?

And Barry B. Benson TOTALLY outlives the average honey bee lifespan of 40 days. The court case has to begin a few days after he's already an adult, which is 24 days into the life cycle for drones, because we see him graduate at the beginning of the film.

Then, he decides to go to court over honey! Only five to 10 percent of cases go to trial, and the average trial in the United States lasts about four to five days. Also, it can take months, even a year, for a trial to begin. Not to mention that there's still all the time it takes for the flowers to die and for Barry to save them. Then, when that's all said and done, Barry practices law at Vanessa's flower shop. HOW DID HE LIVE SO LONG?

If you made it this far, you and I both know that none of this really matters, it's just a children's movie. However, I think it's important for us to understand how things truly work. Whether it's a bee's lifespan or a trial, it's always good to know more.

Lastly, I believe that strictly using honey for everything results in immortality. Just look at Barry B. Benson.