Jesus Calls Us To Be A Steward, Not An Owner Of Our Lives
Christianity

Here's the reality, my life is not my own.

123

Here's the reality, my life is not my own. All of the gifts and blessings that I have were graciously given to me by God. In Matthew 25 we find a parable about a man who before setting off on a journey entrusts three of his servants with a certain amount of talents (which were the currency at that time). Two of the servants invested their talents and returned to their master more than they were given. But the third servant buried his talents for fear of misusing or losing them. The master praised the first two but rebuked the third.

You might ask why; it's because the third servant hid his talent away and was not faithful with the little he was given.

We each have a spiritual gift from God that we can either use for His glory or hid it away. When use our talents to honor God he will entrust us with so much more. But this is only possible when we acknowledge that we are stewards not owners of our lives.

Matthew 6:1 says, "Watch out! Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven."

If we are doing good deeds to receive praise from our peers, we have impure motives. An owner desires earthly praise and adoration which is temporary. But a steward understands that good deeds are meant to bring glory to God, not themselves.

Psalm 71:15 says, "I will tell everyone about your righteousness. All day long I will proclaim your saving power, though I am not skilled with words."

So even if you think you don't have the skills needed to advance the kingdom of God, through God all things are possible.

Exodus 4:10-12 says, "But Moses pleaded with the Lord, "O Lord, I'm not very good with words. I never have been, and I'm not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled."Then the Lord asked Moses, "Who makes a person's mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say."

Even Moses who lead the Israelites out of Egypt thought that he couldn't possibly be the right person for the job. But because Moses acknowledged God's sovereignty over his life he was able to perform miracles in God's name. The same can be true for us if we use what God has given us to bring Him glory.