Find Beauty In The Rain

Find Beauty In The Rain

"Everyone wants happiness, no one wants pain. But you can't have a rainbow, without a little rain."

18
Find Beauty In The Rain
townhall.com

Just a few short months ago, north Louisiana was devastated by severe flooding over 3 days. I spent a day with my family in a neighborhood just 10 minutes from my house helping rescue friends from their homes. I reflected on that experience then in a lengthy Facebook post:

“Today was wet and cold, but in the same breath, absolutely beautiful. My house is safe; if you walked out my front door you would never imagine that just a few miles away people's homes and vehicles are completely under water. As a family we woke up this morning and decided that while we were fine, our friends and neighbors were literally fishing out their front door (to my international friends: no, this is not typical for all of Louisiana). We found a man with a boat and bought as many sand bags that would fit in the truck. We made our way over to Bossier, just a few short miles from our home. As scary as it is to be floating down the middle of a subdivision street or walking in water up to my chest, seeing the community come together as one was absolutely amazing. Everyone was there to help each other and I think that's something we forget to do in our modern day, go-go-go way of life. We forget to say hi to the old man next door or bring cookies to the single mom who lives around the corner, because sometimes she needs a break too. We forget that the kids next door that play their music too loud on a Saturday night are just being typical kids-the same way you were when you were their age. But it didn't matter today, everyone was there to help each other and I am so lucky to have experienced that. When everything is going wrong and you feel like it can't get better, please try to see the positive this may bring us. Today we were a community that came together for the greater cause and I think the world could use a little more of that.”

Last week, the rain started again. This time, it was south Louisiana that was hit. In some places, over 30 inches of rain fell just within a two days. Some have lost a little, and some have lost all. But believe it or not, there is beauty to be seen in this horrible disaster. There is beauty in a community coming together as one. There is beauty in strangers helping strangers. There is beauty in a whole state rallying behind one another. There is beauty in the rain. Although many of us are feeling pain in these times, remember to always look for the beauty in every situation.

In the last few months, Baton Rouge and Louisiana as a whole has experienced some incredible hardships, but right now none of that matters. We are no longer divided by race, the uniform one may wear, or by the past one may have. Through adversity and heartache we are sticking together and showing the world what is truly means to be Louisiana Strong. In Louisiana, we don’t wait for the help to come; we are the help. We reach out our hands to our neighbors and help those in need.

This week, take a little time to help those in need. You can learn more here on how you can give back. Our neighbors need you; our Louisiana family needs you. Once again, we will become one after great devastation.