10 Beautiful Moments From The Black Lives Matter Protests That The Media Won't Show You

The Black Lives Matter movement is stronger than ever while the world mourns the loss of George Floyd and many other innocent members of the black community, but sometimes it seems as though the news hides all of the good things that are coming out of it.

36

I have seen a lot of frustration on Instagram regarding the lack of journalism coverage for all the truly peaceful protests demanding justice for George Floyd. Protests that are uplifting, inspiring, and reassuring. But the news is failing Americans time and time again by only sharing the terrors of the world.

I recently saw the post below on Instagram, which sums up the media's attention to the negative aspects of the protests.

I even googled "positive protest" and all the top results were about Oklahoma State's linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga, who tested positive for COVID-19 after participating in a protest in Tulsa in which he claims to have been protective of himself.

In my Introduction to Journalism class, we talked a lot about the concept of objectivity. But how is only reporting on the terrible things that are happening, that are taking away from the strength, love, and significance of the Black Lives Matter movement, objective? Or spending the first 29 minutes of a 30-minute segment on all of the bad and then giving one minute to the peaceful protests?

So I ask of you, for one moment, to mute the TV and scroll through some truly amazing things social media has made possible to share despite the constant negative outpour from the news.

Here are ten beautiful things the world has seen over the last several days.

1. At one protest, white protesters locked arms in a line to form a barrier between black protesters and police.

2. At another protest, an officer that was separated from his unit was shielded and protected by black protesters.

3. It is no secret that Nike and Adidas are rivals. But one thing has brought them together: the Black Lives Matter movement. Seen here, Adidas retweeted Nike's inspiring video regarding the issue of racism in America today, encouraging everyone to be part of the change.

4. At a protest in New Zealand, protesters were seen dancing and singing together in the street to The Black Eyed Peas 2003 hit, "Where Is The Love?".

5. In The Hague, The Netherlands, people participated in a Black Lives Matter Movement while still practicing social distancing.

6. At a protest in Germantown, the protestors and cops not only worked together, but kneeled together, too.

7. A young White woman shielded a young Black man from police with her body.

8. Nurses aided protesters hit with tear gas at one protest following their hospital shifts.

9. A protester in Pittsburgh returned the extra water bottles given to protesters by police.

10. A protester and police officer prayed together.

There is so much more good happening during these times other than these 10 posts. I encourage you to tune out the violence portrayed on TV news platforms and check out Instagram accounts such as @upworthy, @tanksgoodnews, @goodnews_movement, and more.

America is in a state of crisis, but good people are united internationally to spark good change.