5 Ways To Beat The Holiday Blues

5 Ways To Beat The Holiday Blues

New Year's Day is the most depressing day, in my opinion.

17

Personally, I can't help but feel depressed on New Year's Day.

Ringing in the new year is usually a way for people to leave things in the past and start over, whether that be in a good or bad way. For me, and I'm sure most young adults around my age can agree, I dread the return to school for another four and a half months of stress upon stress. I also feel that in a weird way, it's like wishing our lives away and trying to erase the past.

Instead of going through the "Holiday Blues" alone, I decided to share some ways I try to cope.

1. Plan Ahead.

media.giphy.com

Sometimes looking at entire 365 as a whole can be quite overwhelming, so I preach the importance of baby steps (as I spoke about in my previous article). With the holidays being over, you're probably feeling there's nothing left to look forward to. I can tell you right now that sulking on the couch until you return to work or school will do nothing for you. Instead, start to plan fun little things to do on the weekends with your friends and family to keep life exciting.

2. Keep A Diary.

media.giphy.com

It's important to look at the big picture in life: while the holidays have come to an end, a new door to a new has opened. Keep a diary of the things you're grateful for, and even list the things you wish to conquer throughout the new year. Writing things down is proven to make you feel more accountable.

3. Stay Active.

media.giphy.com

It has been scientifically proven that exercising is a natural mood booster. When exercising, your body releases chemicals called endorphins, which get in contact with your brain to reduce the feeling of pain and stress. It's usually common for people to have a New Year's Resolution surrounding the idea of fitness, so why not beat two birds with one stone and improve your mental health as well?

4. Get away.

media.giphy.com

Take a break. Book a room in AC for a night with the ladies or spend an evening at your cousin's apartment. Either way, take the time to get away from your normal routine and just relax. Breaking routine is OK. The holidays are meant for balance, so it's ok to take is easy sometimes. In fact, your body will thank you later for giving it the rest and recharge it needs. This will also improve your mental health as well.

5. Live in the moment.

media.giphy.com

This is something I abolsutely swear by. I tend to be a someone who always needs to be busy, and I have been trying to just sit back and appreciate more recently. Instead of always worrying about the next move, take it all in. You will never be in the moment ever again. Embrace every feeling of pain, happiness, nervousness, excitement. Everything you encounter will build you into who you are supposed to be.