Beaches Hold A Special Place In My Heart, And That Will Never Change

Beaches may be a picture-worthy location, but it is so much more than that.

220
Suchita Kumar

You know what would make the waves and white sea foam pop out more in the sunlight? Using the filter Valencia on Instagram. At least, that's what most vacationers would worry about when they visit this popular tourist area. But I couldn't care less — I forget about filters, editing and cameras for the entire duration and just take in the natural wonder in front of me.

The gentle lapping of waves on the shore, the cries of the seagulls above and the soft crunch of the sand below my feet all contribute to my tranquil state of mind. My breathing becomes even, and I close my eyes, being able to escape any stress or inner turmoil present within my life. The beach becomes a place I can sit peacefully and contemplate about how I am doing and what I can do to find my own happiness.

Besides being a way to get in touch with myself, the beach has also been in my fondest memories of visiting my motherland, India. I remember sitting on the sand with my cousins, sucking on butterscotch ice cream and getting to know them a little better. I remember collecting shells to bring with me back to America as a moment of the time I'd spent with them. I remember taking part in the mini-carnival present on the beach at night where I shot at balloons and had my fortune read by a mystical bird.

I can still feel the salty taste of roasted peanuts on my tongue. I can sense the sand on my wet shoes rubbing against my toes. I can perceive the horizon as being the unlimited opportunities yet to come in my life.

So yes — the beach may be a beautiful place to take stunning pictures with friends and family but for me, it is also a place of thinly veiled magic that alleviates the confusion that comes with a busy life.